Wedding Cake Advice

Decorating By KSJRcreations Updated 21 Apr 2021 , 11:28pm by jchuck

KSJRcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSJRcreations Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 3:01am
post #1 of 7

My son is getting married in September and wants me to make the cake. They would like a sheet cake to serve the guests and a cake for them to cut. I really don’t want to just make them a small cake. I was thinking of making a couple of the tiers dummy cakes using styrofoam circles. My question is is that possible or would it cause problems with structure and balance of the cake? I would hate for the cake to tip over after putting so much work into it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know exactly what you mean by styrofoam circles, but there are styrofoam cake dummies made for that exact purpose.  No, they will absolutely cause no problem with stacking.  The are very strong and sturdy.

KSJRcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSJRcreations Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you. The cake dummies are what I had in mind. So there should be no balance issue with the top two tiers being heavier?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 7

No KSJcreations.   Having a real cake on top of dummy tiers will be perfectly find. When dummy tiers are covered in fondant, they are quite sturdy. I’ve done many cakes like what you’re going to do. I usually run a central dowel from the top tier right through the dummy tiers to the cake board for security. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Apr 2021 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 7

No, KSJRcreations, no problem at all.  Styrofoam is very strong.  A 14" round cake dummy would probably support my weight, which is considerably more than any two tiered cake.  I've made a bunch of dummy cakes and use any supports at all.  Depending upon whether or not you will need to transport the cake, the only dowels necessary are the ones in the bottom "cake" tier to support the top tier.  If you have a long, arduous journey, it wouldn't hurt anything to use a central dowel through the whole think (anchored into the cake base), but I would not bother, even then.  I would just drive carefully, as with all cake deliveries.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 7

bump

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 7

Bumpity Bump 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%