Proper Cake Board?

Baking By Tempi Updated 15 Mar 2021 , 5:57pm by -K8memphis

Tempi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tempi Posted 15 Mar 2021 , 12:19am
post #1 of 7

I am making a 45” long cake. I purchased a 4’ pc of 1/2” mdf board to prep but seems so heavy. 1/4” plywood seems too thin. Is there anything better than this that would be sturdy enough but not too heavy? The cake will be at most 2-3” tall. 

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2021 , 2:47am
post #2 of 7

For a cake that size, I would use at least 1/2" thickness  plywood or something equally sturdy, regardless of the weight of the board.  It will not be anywhere near as heavy as the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2021 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 7

Proper Cake Board?It’s been some 40 years since I made this one — sorry I can’t remember what type of board we used:(  but as you can see it was at least 1/2” thick (& 40” long) 

Tempi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tempi Posted 15 Mar 2021 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

So it seems the heavy board will have to do.  Thank you for the feedback!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2021 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

i use foamcore board, quarter inch and half inch -- might not be big enough so what i'd do is i'd actually make two boards -- i would buy three boards and cut the extra one to piece together to make up the size of the boards i needed -- piece each single one together with real wide tape into whatever size i needed -- then i would layer the boards together with the pieced in parts opposite each other -- so none of the taped seams took any stress without having the other solid layer next to it --

in fact what it morphed into was i would make the second board the exact size of the cake, again with the taped seams opposite the other board -- with the bottom board of course needing to be bigger to have the ledge around the cake -- then i could have the bottom board all decorated and ready weeks in advance -- all it needed was a cake -- and i would glue gun them together or use icing -- lots of times i delivered the cake separate from the bottom board and just assembled on site -- no worries -- if i delivered with both boards assembled, i used hot glue -- if i assembled the boards together i used a blob of icing ~

SO much lighter and easier to deal with

-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2021 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 7

if you scroll down through this -- you'll see this demonstrated in pictures about a quarter way down

Demo: Making a wedding cake at home - Pastry & Baking - eGullet Forums

-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2021 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 7

I meant, "if I assembled the boards together *on site on the cake table at the venue, I used a blob of icing"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%