Book Review

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 23 Feb 2021 , 2:50am by ReginaCoeliB

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 22 Feb 2021 , 3:17am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone tried recipes from the book "Piece of Cake" by Camilla Saulsbury? I bought the book several years ago and still haven't tried her method. Her method is pretty much mixing dry ingredients, then dump in wet and mix for 2 minutes. Some of her pictures in book make me question texture. I'm getting older and looking for easier scratch recipes. I tried yet another WASC recipe today and once again it was awful. Huge holes, dense with course crumb. I'm done trying to get something decent from the new cake mixes. Arthritis has kicked in and my stamina in the kitchen has diminished, just want something decent, consistent  and won't wear me out making it. Has anyone had any luck with homemade cake mixes? I'm so weary of wasting money on crummy recipes that don't deliver. I've got to let go of the anger I have at companies for changing our old formula cake mixes. I'm not an amateur, had a licensed home business a few years back, but everything from scratch has become too time consuming. I follow these WASC recipes to a tee, and they're all just gross. I've made at least 50 different variations that have all ended up in the trash

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Feb 2021 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 4

I think it's called the reverse creaming method and it's a viable way to cook cake, mg 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Feb 2021 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 4

MamaGeese, I just really don't know what to say.  I still make scratch cakes and WASC cakes all the time and they are fine.  I do add the extra 1/2 cup of cake mix to compensate for the reduced size of cake mix boxes, but nothing unusual. As far as being less work, however, I find that it takes me just as long using the WASC recipe as a scratch recipe.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 23 Feb 2021 , 2:50am
post #4 of 4

I personally do as Sandra does, I add an extra /12 cup of mix and voila! In addition to that I cut the amount of sugar to 3/4 of a cup, I have been praised for a less sweet cake and I got rid of the sticky top issue. And finally, I stopped doing cakes in the Kitchen aid using the paddle attachment that incorporates too much air. I switched to my regular hand mixer and never came back. I also use baking trips made of moist old towels and that eliminates hot spots... that cause bubbles as well. I never have big holes and the cakes are just great to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%