Help!!

Decorating By bibbles6598 Updated 12 Feb 2021 , 12:30pm by -K8memphis

bibbles6598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bibbles6598 Posted 12 Feb 2021 , 4:39am
post #1 of 3

My niece wants this cake for her sons birthday. I've done cakes before so I have some experience, however, I only do about 1 a year now. I have full confidence I can do this cake except I am wondering what you think the baker used for the eyes on the top dog and the brow on the bottom dog. They obviously put a fondant (I'm assuming) rope on the bottom tier and then covered it with fondant to give it a 3d effect. But how would I get the rope to stay in place on the side of the cake without falling down and then stay in place while I put heavy fondant on top and then work the outer layer of fondant over it? The eyes seem like they would be easier to do but I'm at a loss for how she got the fondant rope for the "brow" on the bottom layer to stick. My only thoughts are a fondant rope glued to the side of the crumb coated cake with white chocolate and maybe skewers sicking through the rope into the side of the cake? Or does anyone feel she used something else there besides fondant?Help!!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2021 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 3

if you put additional icing under the fondant before you cover the cake you can create those kind of eyes or whatever shape you need -- you need to be right quick with getting the fondant on efficiently over the rest of the cake so it is still pliable and cooperative when you get to working it for the eyes -- it's fun and remarkably easy --

so obviously for the top set of eye ball sockets you would apply two downward facing 'c' shapes, one for each eye of course in the regular icing you are already using -- then apply the fondant all over -- get it smoothed out over the rest of the cake then mold and shape around the icing "c" shapes to form each eye socket --

the bottom tier you apply icing in the shape of an "m" to sculpt in the eyes --

surprisingly easy peasy to do -- you got this

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2021 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 3

I just figured put what you meant by 'rope' -- use icing instead of fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%