Customer Wants A Surprise Cake Flavour, What Should I Make?

Baking By Kimbadawhitelyon Updated 2 Mar 2021 , 9:36pm by jchuck

Kimbadawhitelyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimbadawhitelyon Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 9:09am
post #1 of 16

I have been asked to make a cake and 16 matching mini cakes for a friend of a friend's 10th wedding anniversary. I have only met her once but she knows my in-laws and has heard about my cakes. She messaged me and gave me a picture of the cake design she likes, but said to surprise her with whatever flavour I think would be good, as she has complete trust in my abilities and choices. The only direction she gave me was that it has fondant on the outside, she doesn’t love chocolate as much as other flavours, and she already has caramel cheesecake and another chocolate dessert on offer for the party. The mini cakes do not have to be the same flavour as the main cake, as they are for the children attending, half of which are to be gluten free. The cakes will not be able to be refrigerated once the fondant goes on so will have to be safe to keep at air conditioned room temperature for two days, as they are being collected the day before the party.

I am not a professional baker by any means but I try my best to deliver the best cake possible, but I am unsure what flavour to make?What flavour combinations do you recommend? Are there any fresh or fruity options that blow your customers out of the water?

15 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 16

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/royal-wedding-cake-recipe

^^^ that's lemon elder flower raspberry filled cake

then my most requested flavor was white wedding cake which was white cake with a grand marnier splash filled with a lemon, a berry and a whipped cream w/strawberries fillings -- four layers in each tier with different filling between each -- strawberries in the middle filling 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 16

I agree with lemon elderflower with raspberry filling. So good. 

jchuck Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 16

I agree with lemon elderflower with raspberry filling. So good. 

Kimbadawhitelyon Posted 30 Jan 2021 , 12:26am
post #5 of 16

@k8memphis Mmmm, that sounds great and probably the perfect cake. Do you reckon I could substitute the elderberry liqueur with something non alcoholic?

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2021 , 12:38am
post #6 of 16

you can do anything you want blush there are elder flower extracts and syrups already prepared 

not trying to talk you into using alcohol but just remember liquid vanilla is 35% alcohol --

also it is a fallacy that all the alcohol like in the grand marnier or whatever is burned away by boiling it or flaming it or whatever -- there's still some in there -- so just saying --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Jan 2021 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 16

Most elderflower cake recipes specify elderflower cordial, which is non-alcoholic.  It is not readily available in my area, but I ordered it on line.  My first cake I made using St. Germain, which is an elderflower liquor, and I prefer the taste over cordial.

My most requested flavor, after chocolate, is strawberry and my own version of carrot cake, which also has raisins, pecans, and pineapple.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2021 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 16

I kept the empty st germaine bottle forever -- so pretty

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2021 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 16

but yes adding flavored alcohol or even rum or whatever into baked cake by way of  a simple syrup 'splash' as m braun calls them -- brilliantifies a cake -- some of us of course have religious or lifestyle reasons to avoid alcohol but like I said most of us use liquid vanilla without hesitation and it's alcohol based 35% by law --

so for example for a medium sized tier cake I'd use maybe a half cup of booze going into 12 -16 ounces of simple syrup -- give or take a few -- so divide that by 100 servings and very little alcohol is going in there -- it's just an accent flavor -- you add it to simple syrup so it will stretch enough -- you just squirt or brush on a small amount

a thought for another cake at least blush

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 31 Jan 2021 , 1:14am
post #10 of 16

I was about to suggest lemon-raspberry swirl cake with vanilla buttercrem as it's on of my favorite!  It looks like lemon and raspberry is the thing

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Jan 2021 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 16

Lemon-raspberry swirl sounds delicious!

Kimbadawhitelyon Posted 25 Feb 2021 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 16

@k8memphis @SandraSmiley I went and made the cake with the liqueur and it was a huge hit with my customer and the guests. The mini cakes were kept as plain vanilla sponge with raspberry jam to keep the kids happy. I tried to do funfetti cake but when cooked, all the sprinkles has completely vanished, no colour in sight except some very pale yellow markings. Oh well, not everything can go to plan. 

As an unexpected bonus, I have mastered covering square cakes in fondant now after having to do 18 square cakes in a day. I can roll fondant, cover and decorate a mini cake perfectly in less than 5 minutes now with not a single crack or wrinkle in sight!

Not the clearest photo but you can get an idea of the cake. Customer chose the design off pintrest. 

Customer Wants A Surprise Cake Flavour, What Should I Make?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2021 , 1:21am
post #13 of 16

ohhhh, that is stunning! and congrats on your speed and efficiency -- you can put that in the bank literally --

well done! it's beautiful!

you can't go wrong with booze in cakes -- the more religious the crowd the more they enjoy -- and i don't mean that in a mean way -- the right amount of alcohol with all that sugar is so refined and so delicious it's the way to go!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2021 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 16

What a delightful creation you ended up with :)  Congrats on getting soooo proficient with covering fondant squares :)

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2021 , 12:03am
post #15 of 16

The whole display is absolutely gorgeous and the cake sounds delicious!  I am so happy it was a big success.  Congrats on mastering the square cakes in such a short time.  Not a small task!

jchuck Posted 2 Mar 2021 , 9:36pm
post #16 of 16

Kimbadawhitelyon

Late reply...as CC has been playing games with me and my account again. Haven’t been able to log in for several days. Your cakes are stunning!! Especially love the flowers and the little perfect mini cakes. Glad they went down a treat. ❤️

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%