Natural Color

Decorating By KatyN Updated 29 Jan 2021 , 11:44pm by -K8memphis

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 24 Jan 2021 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 19

I need to find a brand of natural food coloring that doesn’t use turmeric for yellow.

No luck so far, would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

18 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jan 2021 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 19

I have never explored natural food colorings, so I haven't a clue.  I know turmeric sure is yellow!  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Jan 2021 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 19

I love a good search. Found a all natural food colouring. They use safflower...not turmeric. Pricey tho. Based in USA, don’t know if that helps. Available on Amazon as well.

https://suncorefoods.com/collections/superjuice-powders

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2021 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 19

if you want to make it yourself — you can use golden beets according to this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodandwine.com/news/diy-food-coloring%3famp=true

jchuck Posted 25 Jan 2021 , 12:49am
post #5 of 19

K8memphis...making natural colourings so depends on where you live and what’s available. I definitely can’t get golden beets here in Canada where I live. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2021 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 19

i guess so -- 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2021 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 19

actually I had never looked for nor seen any color fresh beets until I got on this diet -- and they are regularly available at one store in my area although i never searched them out anywhere else either --

so besides that I know that often you can request things at the main grocery stores and vegetable markets -- not to mention you can scout out farm stands and farmers markets for them -- i mean how often does one ever find themself searching for golden beets -- they are out there -- 

idk what area you live in, (are you outside toronto, can't remember?) but here's an example of home delivery golden beets in Canada -- even if this isn't your area -- you can get the beets if you want them --

https://cibomarket.com/collections/fresh-vegetables-to-your-door

beets are a hot commodity in healthy diets these days 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2021 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 19

K8!  That Suncore link WOW!  What an interesting place.  Look at the recipes... very interesting.  I bet my daughter would go crazy with those. 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2021 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 19

lynne, the snacks look great!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2021 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 19

lynne, the recipes are cool but I am gluten, egg and sugar free as well as other eliminations, so after these years on this food for health thing I have some simple cherished recipes otherwise I am cooking/eating fresh veggies fruits and proteins, done --  as i think you know, when you are responsible for preparation of every morsel, it's nearly impossible to want to put together recipes -- 

but the products and recipes do look amazing -- the snacks look especially wonderful to me -- open bag, insert hand, put in mouth, chew, repeat -- that's my kinda fun! hahahahaha

jchuck Posted 26 Jan 2021 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 19

Yes Kate/K8.  I’m about 1.5 hours outside of Toronto. We actually have an amazing farmers market, all year round, in the basement of the main city library, next city over from me. Where I was born and raised. I’d most likely find them there. Actually the market is having a really tough time because of Covid. A few vendors who have been around for 20-30 years have closed shop....sad. 

jchuck Posted 26 Jan 2021 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 19

Kate/K8. Can you not bake keto??? Almond flour, erythritol/ monk fruit as sweetener? 

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2021 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 19

june -- i was deliriously happy today because my favorite vegan place restored my two favorites to their menu -- they had been pre-empted during the holidays -- it is Sucha Joy to get to buy a meal that i did not have to prepare, i guess you'd have to walk in my moccasins or something -- but i do very little baking -- the idea of gathering ingredients to make one item is like a force field preventing me from proceeding --

i'm the first to admit i do cheat, carefully, on the way i eat but i would not want to ingest an alcohol sugar like erythritol -- it's actually safer in a way to cheat with sugar than any of the non-natural sugar replacements because i know what sugar will do -- but alas it is anathema to my condition -- i do use stevia in an organic decaf coffee or coffig every now and then --

in a few months i'll start my fourth year at this and i'm doing good with it -- i batch cook and store things in ball jars in the freezer, eat a lot of chicken, chicken sausage, fish, roast, salads, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc. -- mostly just straight forward protein, veggies & fruits -- works blush thanks for asking

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2021 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 19

oh june, also i was in whole paycheck today aka whole foods smile and they have golden beets too -- so those stores may not be plentiful in canada but i know there's one in toronto, long drive -- but anyhow -- fwiw --

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2021 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 19

put it this way -- every time I eat/drink I have the opportunity to help heal or hurt myself -- so I mostly keep it as clean as possible 

jchuck Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 1:36am
post #16 of 19

Yes Kate I try my best to eat as clean as possible too, occasional cheat. I’m not as strict as you. A lot of fresh veg, salads, lean meat and fish. We eat very little beef. The beef we do eat is organic, grass fed. I do make cakes for my children’s/grandchildren’s bday’s. We all have a slice. Whatever is leftover I give to a friend who has 4 boys. Gone in an instant.  When I bake for ourselves, which isn’t often, it’s keto. Cause I need an occasional treat. I use stevia too, but found it lacking in baked goods. Found in some recipes left a bitter taste. I actually use a 60/40 monk fruit/erythritol blend. 

I actually have a Whole Foods the next city over, about 20 minutes away. Haven’t been there in years. Incredibly overpriced. We have 2 really good all natural food stores here in town. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 12:49pm
post #17 of 19

June -- yes 'incredibly overpriced' that's why we call it "whole paycheck" bwoowahahahahaha 

while they are better now -- they used to have three different kinds of containers with three different surprise prices for their salad and hot bar of foods -- stupid and confusing -- one was a blanket price for anything inside -- another was by weight -- it was a lot of fun at the check out --

I read that they recently got snapped (finally) for erroneous ingredient lists on all that deli food -- 

plus they used to put out self serve fish like shrimp on ice with the scoops inside the container! and I would advise the clerk, advise the manager and they never took action -- so I stopped going there back then -- of course no one has much self serve nowadays with covid but that is food sanitation 101 -- they were determined to stay ignorant --

it's better since amazon bought it but...trying to be so haute cuisine with a kindergarten skill set -- tsk

jchuck Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 11:09pm
post #18 of 19

Kate, I was never impressed with Whole Foods. The one vegan...organic store in my city, Goodness Me, has a wonderful buffet...and extremely clean. Vegan and organic meat options. I miss it. It’s around the corner from the seniors centre, and my friend and I would got there after out Pilates class. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2021 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 19

j -- +1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%