Enlighten Me On Making Ganache

Baking By kakeladi Updated 14 Dec 2020 , 5:09pm by SandraSmiley

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2020 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 12

I’m going to attempt ganache to add to my b’cream to stabilize it.  From what I read on Facebook I think a 1:1 mix would be best.   But never having made it I don’t know the method.  I’m thinking the dbl boiler might be best for me.   MWing sounds very complicated:)   So come out of the closet know it alls & teach me :) 

11 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 13 Dec 2020 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 12

Sometimes I’m too lazy for double boiler. I microwave 1 cup cream. (1.5 cups if it’s for a drip cake). Just until tiny bubbles start forming around the outside. Then I just pour over 1 cup of chocolate. I think the most important part is to let it sit for 5 minutes before you whisk.

then - whisk away...the more ya do it the smoother it is. Some people add a tablespoon of butter for extra sheen but sometimes that doesn’t work for me. Also - if you’re using it as a stabilizer it doesn’t matter :).

i make sure the bowl/measuring cup my chocolate is in is microwaveable as well just in case a bit of my chocolate ganache isn’t my melted to my satisfaction. Heating it for another 10 seconds or so doesn’t affect the ganache....at least when I’ve tried it!

kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2020 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 12

I knew that sounded too easy :(    Heated cream added white candy melts set timer 5 minutes & whisked it for 5-10 minutes ——- all I have is soup:(   

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 13 Dec 2020 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 12

Oh no! I’m so sorry!

ive never used candy melts...I wonder if that’s the difference? Also - when I make a white chocolate buttercream I just melt the white chocolate and add it to the buttercream after it’s cooled and before it hardens...maybe you could do the same with candy melts?

I use about 8 oz of ghiradelli white chocolate when I do that....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2020 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 12

how warm is your soup? take a spoonful on a saucer & put in fridge to see if it will firm up in 10 minutes or so

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 13 Dec 2020 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 12

Lynne candy melts take less liquid to make ganache. Doesn’t matter if it’s soupy. Put in the fridge to firm up a bit. Or leave on your counter. Should eventually firm up to put in your buttercream.

kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2020 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 12

It’s been cooling about 1/2 hr nor.  I ended up adding ever bit of candy melts (recommened by Sandra) I have which thickened it to pudding consistency.   And of course I now have 10x more than I need.   How long will it keep & how?   Uuugg wish I hadn’t tried this :( 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Dec 2020 , 2:29am
post #8 of 12

Candy Melts are like white chocolate and should be used at the rate of no more than 1 part cream to 3 parts Candy Melts.  I always do 1 to 4, because I like a stiff ganache.  The only type chocolate for which a one to one ration is used, to my knowledge, is dark chocolate.  Milk chocolate uses 1 to 2 (I use 1 to 3).  Yes, one to one on candy melts equals soup.  

I warm my candy melts a little bit in the microwave, just to give them a head start, heat the cream on the stove top just until it starts to simmer, then pour the cream over the candy melts and let it set for five or six minutes before stirring vigorously.

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Dec 2020 , 2:33am
post #9 of 12

If I accidently specified a 1 to 1 ration (for any kind of chocolate), I sincerely apologize.  As stated above, I use a ration of 1 part cream to 3 or 4 parts candy melts or white chocolate.  

As MerMadeBakedGoods said, when I make white chocolate buttercream, I just melt the chocolate and let it cool, then add it to my buttercream.  I don't use ganache in my buttercream.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 14 Dec 2020 , 3:54am
post #10 of 12

Yikes, I’m sorry too. I didn’t factor in the candy melt situation...and as Sandra said, white chocolate has more milk in it so you have to use less cream, so my directions were flawed anyway.

I’m sorry that you wasted your ingredients :(

kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2020 , 5:00am
post #11 of 12

Ok .. hope it worked out ok.  I started by weighing 2 oz cream, heated poured over 5 oz white candy melts & got soup.   Even after whisking over 5 minutes.  The I added more candy melts until it thickened some -to pudding consistency Again  even after more whisking.   Ended up adding every bit of 10 oz melts to the original 2 oz cream.  Then chilled it - about 15 minutes til hard as a rock :)   So then had to MW it soft again to use.   Added it about 1/2 of it to my b’cream.  I’ll see if it stiffened it up Wednesday when I decorate 2 cakes.   Oohhh please let it be so!!  

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Dec 2020 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 12

I also didn't think to mention that when you make ganache, whisking it will not make it thicken.  I leave mine at room temperature for several hours or over night.  Refrigerating will speed up the process.

Don't worry about the left over ganache.  Seal it tightly and keep it in the fridge (it will keep a long time) until you are ready to again make a cake and use it in your frosting or as a filling for the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%