Dummy Tier Question

Decorating By jiya11 Updated 12 Dec 2020 , 3:34pm by kakeladi

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 4 tiered cake. Bottom 14" square being a dummy and then three real cakes on top 12" round, 8" square and 6" round. 

If I hot glue the dummy to my cake drum and stack the real cake tiers on top and transport with a central dowel through the cakes (including the dummy), would that work?

I am reading that it would be top heavy. What's the best way to transport? Dummy separately and the three assembled layers separately and then put them together at venue? I have transported multiple 3 tiered cakes in the past.. it's just the dummy and the top heavy question. 

Thank you SO much in advance for your suggestions.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think it would be top heavy -- unless some of the tiers are more than six inches tall -- the central dowel I mostly only used in topsy turvey type cakes where I threaded the asymetrical cakes onto the central dowel that was already permanently implanted into the bottom board --

the 8" sq will be just about corner to corner on the 12" r just fyi 

it would travel fine -- stack it any way you want but it's heavier and bulkier than you might be used to -- I delivered in corrugated cardboard boxes so it was easy to hold on to --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think it would be that top heavy either, especially if you are hot gluing the dummy to the cake board.  If you feel more secure using a central dowel, go for it, but I probably would not bother.  Like -K8, I always use heavy cardboard boxes for delivery, with bottles of frozen ice wired in the corners.  

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 12 Dec 2020 , 2:25am
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2020 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 5

Adding my yes to what has been said.   I have done many such arrangements with dummy tiers.... can’t remember that Exact configuration but never had a problem with a dummy & delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%