When Will I Learn.. Rant

Decorating By CalaMom Updated 21 Nov 2020 , 6:56pm by -K8memphis

CalaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalaMom Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 6

Me and fondant will NEVER be friends. I can't make the stuff. Every figure I've ever done with it has turned out so bad you can't tell what it is or falls apart at the last minute.  Covering cake with it? Forget it. Never going to work.

Took a request to do a cake from DH and his fellow coworkers to do a snake cake for their boss. Hates snakes, they wanted to see his reaction and "its been a while since she sent in cake". This was Sunday night, his birthday was this past Tuesday. But no set time limit as they just want to see his reaction (how nice). Bake and make BC in between "virtual school" meetings Monday morning.  Cool wrap and freeze enough to carve the cakes while I make dinner. Stack and crumb coat after I put the kids to bed Monday night. Still wasn't exactly sure how to go about covering it (ganache, fondant, MC). So into the fridge (covered lightly with plastic wrap) it went until Tuesday. Maybe this was my downfall, but I can't work on it all day bc I have 4 kids at home now all day everyday and bc they still have to be "at school" (with a parent sitting nearby the entire time-2 in kindergarten) ican't really work on just cake like I used to when they were gone to school all day, but I figured it was a safe bet then being left on top of my cupboards for days on end.

Set back #1: Took it out to size up the head and tail and back into the fridge after figuring id build the body up a bit more with cake ball mush. Well long story short (of course no one will admit to seeing or knowing anything) both head and tail end up on the floor Tuesday evening after setting up all day perfectly fine on the counter. Ok redo them.

Set back #2-?: Cant work on it Wednesday or Thursday so it sits in the fridge.. Finally get everything redone. Now its time to cover the snake. Finally decide to just cover the body in fondant and make the "fondant glue" to smooth the seams between the MC head and tail and the fondant body. Take the cake out after getting back from dropping the kids off at "real school". Give it plenty of time to come to room temp and hopefully won't have as much condensation between the BC and fondant..

5 replies
CalaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalaMom Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure whats going on with my phone or why it posted 12 times.  ..but here's the rest of the rant if you've read that much...

Well..... I get the fondant rolled out thin enough where I think it wont tear, but still not thick enough where I think it'll be weighed down and fall off. Cover it. Smooth it. ITS ACTUALLY working out for once. 

I leave it to switch over laundry before the kids come home. Come back to the fondant paneling peeling off the cake, taking the cake with it. So I say screw it, save as much cake as possible. And start carefully peeling whats left off with the knife I was using to cut the fondant. Needless to say my accident prone self, like an idiot, drops the knife on the table and somehow manages to cut myself. Not bad, but annoying knowing I can't use liquid bandage (breaks me out) and any band aid i now have to use will need to be replaced everytime I wash my hands.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 2:24am
post #3 of 6

Oooohhhh:(  you sure are having a real happy time!  See that snake knows how much you hate it so decided to shed its skin.   Oy!!   Sorry your having such a time.   Our work is supposed to make other happy, making us happy on the process. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 11:49am
post #4 of 6

cala, if you have some plastic gloves, that will eliminate the zillion re-bandages from hand washing -- just wash your hand with the glove on over the bandage, which is also regulation when wearing a bandaid -- 

give yourself a break though -- over the decades I have learned to perk up my self talk -- how I talk to me internally -- kwim -- give yourself a break -- tell yourself good things about you -- if you want ~

people are requesting your work for a reason -- believe them -- believe the good things you tell yourself about you --

"believe in your own beauty" k. gravel

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 6

I have a  thought, if you still do not have your snake covered in fondant.  Try covering the head with one piece of fondant, then cutting individual fondant scales to cover the rest.  I don't mean tiny, little scales, as in real life, but something like the size of a rose petal cutter.  Just overlap them the whole length of the snakey.

Sorry you are having such a time.  Been there, done that.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 6

great idea, sandra!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%