Kool Aid Frosting

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 10 Nov 2020 , 5:53pm by kakeladi

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 9 Nov 2020 , 2:54am
post #1 of 7

I'm wondering if you can add dry strawberry koolaid mix to prepare buttercream to give it a more strawberry flavor.  Has anyone tried it? I don't want to use puree because it gets to thin.  Thanks for any advise. I will be adding fresh cut strawberries between the layers.  Just wanted to add some flavor to the buttercream. 

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2020 , 3:21am
post #2 of 7

YES!! :)

I have often used UNsweetened KoolAid usually rod getting red color in my b’cream.   That is what you want so go ahead:)    How much?   I never expected measured it—just added until I got the color wanted.   I’m guessing maybe 1/4 teaspoon per 1/2 cup.

You want the unsweetened or it will be gritty:( 

kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2020 , 3:24am
post #3 of 7

Swell part of my post didn’t post.   I said it does flavor the icing  meaning that’s what you want 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2020 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 7

also you can whirl freeze dried strawberries in a blender and use that powder -- I've gotten them at targets and whole paycheck er I mean whole foods blush and it is potent! so add it in increments ~

I use strawberry Jello (powder) in cake batter -- can't remember if i ever used it in butter cream...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Nov 2020 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 7

I use strawberry extract too.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 10 Nov 2020 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 7

I’ve used Kool Aid, different flavours in my buttercream.  But not  sugarless, as kakeladi posted. I didn’t seem to get any grittiness. I mixed the Kool Aid with a bit of warm water first before adding. I used the strawberry for the same reason, a stronger strawberry flavour and colour. 

kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2020 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

By mixing the KoolAid with water you are desolving the sugar that’s why you don’t notice any grittiness:)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%