How Many Cupcakes Should I Start With?

Business By LaurisCakesandMore Updated 14 Oct 2020 , 10:37pm by SandraSmiley

LaurisCakesandMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurisCakesandMore Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 6

By mid November 2020 I will be going to a store front location in a partnership with a local community charity organization. I bake cupcakes & cakes usually per order required. I will be using (my nic name for this organization is Pop) Pop's space that is already furnished with a sitting area with fake fireplace and large seating area that is set up for the recommended 6 ft apart seating. They already have a cash register and will have either a staff member from Pop's or a student volunteer to operate the sales while I'm busy either baking or taking specific orders. My main question is; how many dozen cupcakes should I start with?

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 6

I have absolutely no idea.  Perhaps you could prebake a several dozen and freeze them without frosting.  Stock your shelves and pull out more and frost as needed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Oct 2020 , 4:50am
post #3 of 6

Sandra’s idea is very good.  Not knowing the location gives us no clue what more to recommend.  Is this in a mall? A free standing store ?  What kind of walk in activity is there?  What is also being sold? Any other kind of baked goods?  What kind of hours do you expect to be working?  Going to offer any “walk in” cake orders —is there a cold case to display any thing?  Any &al of that wil affect the answers. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Oct 2020 , 4:50am
post #4 of 6

Sandra’s idea is very good.  Not knowing the location gives us no clue what more to recommend.  Is this in a mall? A free standing store ?  What kind of walk in activity is there?  What is also being sold? Any other kind of baked goods?  What kind of hours do you expect to be working?  Going to offer any “walk in” cake orders —is there a cold case to display any thing?  Any &al of that wil affect the answers. 

LaurisCakesandMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurisCakesandMore Posted 14 Oct 2020 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 6

It's a 100 year old hotel that has been purchased by several churches in the area to provide several kinds of services. One being a soup kitchen, that's the kitchen that I would be sharing. It's a fairly good sized seating area and the kitchen is sizeable too. I should hear back from the board members on what the hours they would like me to be open from. Basically I would be "renting" from their space, one of the floors is a renovated area for a women's shelter. That's why they would be the ones to set the hours. This is new to them as well. I like Sandra's idea too! I'm trying to figure out how to put them in a freezer safe container for that...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Oct 2020 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

I use Tuperware boxes, but if you don't have them, and I doubt anyone has that many, you could freeze the cupcakes unwrapped, individually, then put them together on a cookie sheet or piece of cardboard and wrap the whole thing in a couple of layers of plastic wrap, then finish with a layer of aluminum foil.  That is how I freeze cakes all the time and they keep very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%