Sorting Hat Structural Integrity??

Baking By AKCandice Updated 12 Oct 2020 , 10:45pm by SandraSmiley

AKCandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKCandice Posted 11 Oct 2020 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 8

Question for the pros:

If I cut each layer into quarters like they do in this food network video, on an 8-layer cake, is the structural integrity doomed?? There are a couple issues I see with this short, short video and that is one if them.

https://www.facebook.com/FoodNetwork/videos/10156456596701727/

Thanks for your help!

Candice

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Oct 2020 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 8

I fully understand the ? But really don’t kno w the answer.  My guess is that if the right amount of icing is used —not too much or to little— it will hold together 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Oct 2020 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 8

After watching the video, I'd do several things differently for both stability and taste.

If I chose to quarter the layers like that, I'd butter the abutting edges with a bit of buttercream and I'd put more buttercream between layers--the ratio in the video is dismal. 

I'd add supports and a board every 3 layers, cutting the boards to create guides for tapering and I'd stagger the dowels so that they didn't line up from layer to layer. 

I'd use a sharpened dowel to pre-punch a central hole through the layers, and add a full length dowel to the RKT hat top to go into that hole, putting melted candy melts into the hole to anchor it.  I'd also coat the RKTs in melted candy melts to stabilize it.

I'm all about a really stable cake if it's going to do anything more than move from my counter to the table in my home.  If it's gonna travel--or sit for any length of time when it can settle significantly--it gets overbuilt. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2020 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with maybenot.  You can tell by the way the cake is being cut and served, at the end of the video, that cake boards have been used between every two layers.  If not, the cake would be much, much too tall for serving sizes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2020 , 2:29am
post #5 of 8

You two have really put a lot of thought into designing it!!     I also agree w/ the paragraph about icing the sides & more between but still caution about using to much.  Then again if boards & dowels are used that might not be necessary either - I  thinking  1/2” is fine.    It I have seen a few that I bet used 1”- 1 1/2”:(   

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 12 Oct 2020 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 8

I've made the hat, not the triangle cuts or anything like that though. I used plates and dowels every two layers. I don't like when videos are made without showing the right amount of support, and then clients want what they saw in such video/picture. I could go into more detail, but it's really hard to convince them it's not stable. They don't want the supports, it gets turned down, they go somewhere else, and let's just say it didn't work out for them because they want to cut down from top to bottom of a huge cake that they saw in a video and it's just not going to hold up without supports. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 12 Oct 2020 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 8

It's such a shame to read that. 

These videos make the consumers think that they know it all and can argue the fine points of baking, decorating, & structure.  I've listened and explained, but I've actually quit making cakes for others because I got tired of the questioning, arguing, and haggling.  I hated having to adopt the "my way or the highway" attitude just to protect my work and integrity.  I'M THE EXPERT and if someone refuses to accept that, well, buh-bye.  Just not worth the stress--or subsequent angry phone call when their demand is met and turns out to be an abject failure.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Oct 2020 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 8

I was already a crabby old woman when I started cake decorating and it is my hobby only, so I have absolutely no problem walking away from this kind of people.  I neither want nor need their order, so they take what I can give them or they go somewhere else.  No skin off my nose, one way or the other.  I've never had a high enough tolerance for people to be a professional cake decorator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%