Baking Strips And Flower Nails.

Baking By cakelady607 Updated 3 Oct 2020 , 4:17pm by SandraSmiley

cakelady607 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady607 Posted 2 Oct 2020 , 7:50am
post #1 of 9

I have a new oven that I’m trying to learn to use best for my cakes. 

First attempt my cakes domed creating so much waste. 

Tried baking strips. The edges turn out so so soft with no crust I feel like the cake is too soft to cover with fondant when the turn out like this. 

Next I feel like I should try a flower nail. 

Can I use a flower nail to stop a 6 inch round cake doming or should these only be used for large cakes. 

Any other tips for baking flat layers without strips or nails?

thanks. 

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2020 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 9

In my opinion what causes that problem is too hot an oven.   I prefer to bake at 300 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes (for that size) then turn the oven up to 325 for about an equal amount of time.  This will produce a nice , flat topped, moist cake.   No need for strips nor flower nails.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Oct 2020 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 9

You can certainly use a flower nail in a 6" cake.  I've used as many as five in a large (14") cake.  Howeve, I agree with kakeladi, the best solution is a lower baking temperature.  I've used the baking strips as well and the lower temp gives me the best, most consistant results.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2020 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 9

Also re use of  Wet strips & flower nail:  I seldom used them even in baking 16” rounds  - especially with the lower temperatures I bake at.   I would use wet paper towels around the corners of sq cake pans :)  

cakelady607 Posted 2 Oct 2020 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I absolutely love the results I get with baking strips but it’s just that the edges are sooooo soft it feels like the cake wouldn’t hold up under fondant. I will do some testing with lower temps tomorrow. Thank you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2020 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 9

another possibility to test is to use less moisture in the wet strips

cakelady607 Posted 2 Oct 2020 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you I will just spend tomorrow experimenting and hopefully something will work!

cakelady607 Posted 3 Oct 2020 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 9

So I’ve baked 2 cakes this morning on 150/160 and they’ve still domed slightly but not nearly as much as my first attempts in new oven which was baking at 180!!

so glad it was something so simple. Thank you. 

My new oven is a fan oven with no option to turn the fan off so I guess it will just take some practice!

Thanks again

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2020 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 9

Glad that helped.  You can still use a flower nail or heating core to assist with the flat top.  I never mind trimming a little off the top because it gives me a chance to taste test the cake (that's my excuse anyway).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%