I Need Advice With My Tiered Cake

Decorating By danaxsa Updated 22 Sep 2020 , 2:09pm by danaxsa

danaxsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danaxsa Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 32

Hi all

im pretty upset and stressed over a wedding cake I’m delivering today. I worked pretty hard on it and when it came to stacking the cake started cracking, does anyone know why that would happen ? That’s my first question 

second, the cakes are not coming on straight meaning one side has more space than the other I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong as I made centre holes in each cake board where the dowel goes through. Is there some other method I can use for the future ?

the groom isn’t so happy with the cake, I was communicating through the maid of honour the entire time of making this cake and the couple didn’t really bother giving me any info on what they want and I told them initial that the cake will not look identical to what they want. A day before the cake they started making weird requests to be done to the cake which I can’t do anymore such as removing certain things on the cake etc 

I had silver painted initially around the logo which they didn’t want anymore so I went ahead and covered it with fondant and then made the curtains they originally wanted. They had agreed to NO curtains then they asked for curtains again yesterday night.

Flowers are also going on the sides of the cake 

ps wedding is today 

I Need Advice With My Tiered CakeI Need Advice With My Tiered CakeI Need Advice With My Tiered Cake

31 replies
danaxsa Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 32

I Need Advice With My Tiered Cake

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 32

There is no way to know for sure, but it appears the individual tiers are not level.  For a successful stacked cake, each tier must be perfectly flat.  If not, the higher you go, the more tilted it will be.  Did you use supports in the bottom two tiers or just the central dowel?  There should be dowels in both the bottom tiers and a cake board between each tier.  The only way I know to fix it is to remove the top tier, with a long knife, slice off the high side of the middle tier until is is perfectly level, refrost the top and put the top tier back into place.

Your cake is pretty, but it does seem that the design it a bit advanced for your experience.  The original is fondant and your's is buttercream.  Makes the design more difficult to replicate.  This leads me to believe that you probably seriously undercharged, as well.  Unless the couple is paying you at least $350, they should consider themselves lucky.

If you need to reply to this post and find you are unable, just start a new post.  New members must wait about 30 days before being able to comment.

danaxsa Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 32

H

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 32

I'm really glad to see it is in the fridge -- I hope it delivered ok -- internal dowels, like sandra said are crucial for cakes to stack right and travel well --

for going forward -- you want to curtail communication with the b&g, maid of honor, mother of bride, everybody a couple weeks out -- otherwise you'll get in situations like this where they are critiquing and possibly being impossible -- 

I understand how hard you worked on this -- I like it -- you were up front that your work would be different than the original and yes I too am curious as to how much you are being paid but that's not really any of my business --

but please let us know if you have the other dowels in there and how it went --

-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 32

also the flowers help to disguise the little bit uneven tiers -- put more if you can!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 32

I agree with what the others say... & hopefully you were able to tidy it up, deliver it, set it up & all is well.   

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 32

Hi -K8 and kakeladi.  It is on another post, which I can't seem to find in the forum, because danaxsa was unable to reply here.  She did use dowels in the tiers.  She said the tiers also started to crack when stacking them on the central dowel.  The only recommendation I had was to keep it well chilled until delivery.

danaxsa Posted 19 Sep 2020 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 32

Hi ladies I hope you all can see my response as I for some reason can’t reply directly. As Sandra has mentioned to you all the cakes did have dowels but I’m guessing the dowel slightly shifted while I was stacking, I’m not sure how to prevent this in the future.

im glad you all see the effort I put into this because as a slight newbie I felt very discouraged by the groom being rude to me about my cake, I mean he had expectations but still I had mentioned already that it won’t look 100% the same

for all that were curious I was initially going to charge 400 but gave a discount to 300 because of what had happened. Perhaps 400 is still unchanging . Lol

it ended up delivering just fine although the groom kept saying it’s not what he expected but I tried I really did

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 hour ago

I'm really glad to see it is in the fridge -- I hope it delivered ok -- internal dowels, like sandra said are crucial for cakes to stack right and travel well --

for going forward -- you want to curtail communication with the b&g, maid of honor, mother of bride, everybody a couple weeks out -- otherwise you'll get in situations like this where they are critiquing and possibly being impossible -- 

I understand how hard you worked on this -- I like it -- you were up front that your work would be different than the original and yes I too am curious as to how much you are being paid but that's not really any of my business --

but please let us know if you have the other dowels in there and how it went --

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 1:05am
post #10 of 32

If you have not mentioned a discount, don't.  The cake is worth $400.  It sounds as though you have received no payment, but they have their cake.  I sure hope they pay you.  In the future, you need to collect all of the money, 1/2 at booking and the balance two weeks prior to the even.  It could be as much buyer's remorse on the part of the groom as actual disappointment.  Lots of people think they deserve a lot more cake than they are will to pay for and this could very well be the case.  There are a lot of less than honest, ethical people out there.

Give the method I mentioned before, hammering the dowel down through the tiers and into the cake drum, a try.  It is so much easier and seems to be less stressful to the cake.

danaxsa Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 1:34am
post #11 of 32

I unfortunately already did, I’m hoping I do get the payment as well. I did take a deposit of 100$ two weeks ago, but in the future I do need to take the full payments beforehand so lesson learned.

ill be sure to try that dowel method though on a future cake :)

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 27 minutes ago

If you have not mentioned a discount, don't.  The cake is worth $400.  It sounds as though you have received no payment, but they have their cake.  I sure hope they pay you.  In the future, you need to collect all of the money, 1/2 at booking and the balance two weeks prior to the even.  It could be as much buyer's remorse on the part of the groom as actual disappointment.  Lots of people think they deserve a lot more cake than they are will to pay for and this could very well be the case.  There are a lot of less than honest, ethical people out there.

Give the method I mentioned before, hammering the dowel down through the tiers and into the cake drum, a try.  It is so much easier and seems to be less stressful to the cake.

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 3:06am
post #12 of 32

Here is a video similar to the way I do a central dowel.  The difference is that she is using cake boards with holes already in the middle, so she just pushes the dowel all the way through.  I use solid boards and drive the sharpened dowel right through them with a hammer.  It is very easy.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 32

it sounds like you feel better about your work and that's the important thing -- I'm really glad the delivery went well -- yes for going forward money in advance is the only way to go -- hope you get paid! stand your ground -- no more discounts --

also I would suggest for going forward making an extra special element -- for example the Batman logo -- your second and even third and fourth attempts would come out better and better -- and you have back up if necessary --

made in advance, you could either dry it on the side of the corresponding cake pan so it has the correct curve to it or freeze it, well sealed so it will be malleable when you need it -- also adding cornstarch to the fondant will give it more body so it handles better without stretching -- you can set and close the cake pan sticking up out of a shallow drawer to hold it -- you can attach a piece of light cardboard or card stock to make a wider surface if necessary -- but even better than a cake pan is a half a cake dummy -- then it just sits flat for you easy peasy -- 

for most of my cakes, the only time I used a central dowel was when they were a topsy turvy type cake with wonky uneven tiers as part of the design -- I did use a central dowel a time or two at the end of my career in a regular tier cake just cause it was popular to do but it's not necessary imo -- and I think it makes it harder to dismantle the cake for the servers -- but I guess they are all used to it now --

you did good

danaxsa Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 32

That looks like an easier method to use !! I’ll give that a try next time ! Thanks Sandra !

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 14 hours ago

Here is a video similar to the way I do a central dowel.  The difference is that she is using cake boards with holes already in the middle, so she just pushes the dowel all the way through.  I use solid boards and drive the sharpened dowel right through them with a hammer.  It is very easy.

danaxsa Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 32

I actually do, it’s a learning curve for me so I’ll take that as a positive, I know I gave it my best. Back when I took this order on I was laid off work so getting back into work and doing this cake was definitely hard !! I got my money this morning so I’m happy 

I really appreciate all the advice you have given me I’ll be sure to use them in the future 

Quote by @-K8memphis on 5 hours ago

it sounds like you feel better about your work and that's the important thing -- I'm really glad the delivery went well -- yes for going forward money in advance is the only way to go -- hope you get paid! stand your ground -- no more discounts --

also I would suggest for going forward making an extra special element -- for example the Batman logo -- your second and even third and fourth attempts would come out better and better -- and you have back up if necessary --

made in advance, you could either dry it on the side of the corresponding cake pan so it has the correct curve to it or freeze it, well sealed so it will be malleable when you need it -- also adding cornstarch to the fondant will give it more body so it handles better without stretching -- you can set and close the cake pan sticking up out of a shallow drawer to hold it -- you can attach a piece of light cardboard or card stock to make a wider surface if necessary -- but even better than a cake pan is a half a cake dummy -- then it just sits flat for you easy peasy -- 

for most of my cakes, the only time I used a central dowel was when they were a topsy turvy type cake with wonky uneven tiers as part of the design -- I did use a central dowel a time or two at the end of my career in a regular tier cake just cause it was popular to do but it's not necessary imo -- and I think it makes it harder to dismantle the cake for the servers -- but I guess they are all used to it now --

you did good

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 32

Happy to help, Danaxsa.  We would love for you to join us more often.  There is not much activity on this site lately, but more knowledge than you can even imagine all in one place.  These ladies have taught me soooo much and continue to do so.

danaxsa Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 32

It definitely is the perfect place to learn and ask for advice ! You all are so lovely

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 32

And post pictures of your cakes!  We already know you can hold your own in the decorating department, so don't be shy!

danaxsa Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 7:16pm
post #19 of 32

You’re so kind I definitely will !

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 1 hour ago

And post pictures of your cakes!  We already know you can hold your own in the decorating department, so don't be shy!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 7:51pm
post #20 of 32

sandra, thank you for the info in post #8 advising about the dowel etc -- very sweet of you ~

-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 7:53pm
post #21 of 32

clap yay!!! you got paid!!!!

danaxsa, thank you for the great follow up! we don't always get to hear the rest of the story -- best to you

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 10:34pm
post #22 of 32

De nada, -K8!  It is nice to have you back.  You were missed!

danaxsa Posted 20 Sep 2020 , 11:45pm
post #23 of 32

Thank you !!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 12:01am
post #24 of 32

I’ve been having computer problems so I just now saw this & join the others in app -lauding your happy ending:)      

Spend your spare time browsing through all the interesting info offered here .   Yes some of it is old  not relative anymore but plenty is!! 

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 12:44am
post #25 of 32

danaxsa, you've just had the good fortune to meet two of the most knowledgable and generous ladies in the cake world, -K8memphis and kakeladi!  Between them, you can be assured of receiving wonderful advise when you get stuck.  Both past professionals, their experience has rendered them fountains of all cake knowledge!  Lucky for us, they are always willing to share and assist!  

danaxsa Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 12:51am
post #26 of 32

That’s amazing I’m so thankful for that  !! Do you ladies happen to have Instagram by any chance ? 

My dessert account is danadessertdelights 

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 6 minutes ago

danaxsa, you've just had the good fortune to meet two of the most knowledgable and generous ladies in the cake world, -K8memphis and kakeladi!  Between them, you can be assured of receiving wonderful advise when you get stuck.  Both past professionals, their experience has rendered them fountains of all cake knowledge!  Lucky for us, they are always willing to share and assist!  

danaxsa Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 12:52am
post #27 of 32

Thank you !!! I for sure did receive some great advice which I’ll cherish !! 

Quote by @kakeladi on 50 minutes ago

I’ve been having computer problems so I just now saw this & join the others in app -lauding your happy ending:)      

Spend your spare time browsing through all the interesting info offered here .   Yes some of it is old  not relative anymore but plenty is!! 

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 1:20am
post #28 of 32

I am sorry that I am not able to use instagram.  I set up an account only to discover that I cannot post things from my iMac and it is the only computer I have.  No phone, no laptop, no tablet.  Woe as me!

danaxsa Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 2:09am
post #29 of 32

Aww no worries

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2020 , 7:37pm
post #30 of 32

thank you, sandra, you are very sweet -- 

but dana, sandra is a not just a brilliant caker but also a phenomenal artist so she's got tons of great advice -- altogether we all have plenty of opinions to choose from blush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%