Need Tier Stacking Advice

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 6 days ago by MamaGeese

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 10 Sep 2020 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

Help please. I'm doing a big wedding cake in a couple months. The bottom tier will be 16" layers. The cake itself is a dense butter cake that is heavy. The picture I have to go by shows a bottom tier that looks about 5/6 layers high. I'm wondering how many layers you can safely stack (don't want the top layers to squish the bottom layers) Is there a general rule about how deep a tier can be before you need to dowel it and make it a double barrel tier? there will be 5 tiers in all, so I know that bottom tier has to be very stable. Thanks!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2020 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 5

With proper support even jello or whipped cream can be tiered.    Study videos on stacking.   Don’t know if it still is used but the rule oh thumb was support all over 4” tall.  Sooo... For dbl barrel=  Two 2” layers(Tier)/dowels & board the next tier of two layers/ & continue up the same way.   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Sep 2020 , 1:40am
post #3 of 5

I agree with kakeladi.  If I want a tall tier with six layers (for example), I stack three layers and dowel, use a cake board then add the next three layers.  They should be doweled to support the next tier.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 1 week ago
post #4 of 5

How do you normally stack cakes?  What type of supports do you use?  What type of boards do you prefer?  What do you plan to use for your base?  What are your transportation plans---single tiers to stack on site, partially stacked?

How many servings of cake are needed?  A double barrel 16" cake yields 154-200 servings depending on cutting plan.

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 6 days ago
post #5 of 5

Thanks all! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%