Struggling With Leveling My Cakes

Decorating By Misskitty90 Updated 4 Sep 2020 , 5:43pm by SandraSmiley

Misskitty90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misskitty90 Posted 3 Sep 2020 , 2:42am
post #1 of 5

Anyone else struggle with leveling their cakes?  I usually use a serated.knife but they still get uneven.  Do you start from the edge of the cake or a little bit inward towards the middle and then start to level?  I feel like then my cakes aren't straight if I do tires and they shift.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2020 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

That’s one of the reasons I use 2” deep pans.  Put the cake in the pan using the edges to rest the knife on .   if nothing else invest in a Wilton cake leveler/saw 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Sep 2020 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

I just takes practice.  Hold you arm tightly against your side to help keep the knife level.  I don't quite understand what you mean by "a little bit inward towards the middle".  You have to start on the outside edge, cut approximately 1/2 inch into the cake and rotate the cake as you cut, only a small depth at a time.

As I stack my layers, I use a level to test them.  If it is a little higher on one side than the other, I press it down firmly with my hands, until it is level.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2020 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 5

if you want -- speaking of toothpicks from a different thread blush -- you can insert them sticking out all the way around where you want to cut like tinker toys -- i'm dating myself hahahaha -- to provide a physical level and it helps avoid the dip down in the middle -- but if you keep the knife resting on the toothpicks and slow & steady go 'round and 'round with the cake on the turntable you will get the hang of it -- it's harder the bigger the cake is -- my cake knife is eighteen inches long -- and baking short layers is a also a great fix then all you have to do it level it rather than split it -- easy peasy

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Sep 2020 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 5

I absolutely agree with -K8, using a ruler and toothpicks to mark the sides of the cake is a wonderful way to get level layers.  I did it for years, before I had enough experience to torte without the toothpicks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%