Am I Under Charging

Decorating By Sparki1979 Updated 28 Aug 2020 , 4:49pm by SandraSmiley

Sparki1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparki1979 Posted 27 Aug 2020 , 4:25am
post #1 of 4

What would you charge for these cakes I’ve made Am I Under ChargingAm I Under ChargingAm I Under ChargingAm I Under ChargingAm I Under ChargingAm I Under ChargingAm I Under ChargingAm I Under ChargingAm I Under Charging

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2020 , 5:28am
post #2 of 4

You do very nice work:)   Pricing is sooo very complicated and involves soo many different factors.  Just a very few things that need to be considered are: cost of ingredients, including packaging, cost of learning & equipment, taxes, location, fuel for car to shop& delivery.; time involved in planning,shopping, & actually working on your creations, eating out because you are busy or way to tired to think much less cook—— as I said those are just the tip of what needs to be considered.   After all that I suggest no less than $4 per serving.   & depending where you are maybe more 

If you are unable to reply to any post just start a new post referring to the one you are talking about.   

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 28 Aug 2020 , 8:29am
post #3 of 4

You need to be able to add up all the costs of the ingredients plus all the boxes and boards too.  Then think about cost of electricity and gas plus your time.  It is an art - being able to price up a cake properly and not undercut yourself.  The only way to do it properly is to ensure you have a system for pricing.  Otherwise you will probably be undercharging and losing money on a permanent basis.  Just my two pennyworth!  Kx

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Aug 2020 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 4

I am a hobby baker and rarely do a cake for a customer.  Being far too lazy to actually calculate a fair, competitive price, I start at $4 per serving for a plain cake and go up from there, depending upon the type and quantity of decoration.  The addition of gum paste flowers or modeled figures increases the price considerably.  If I sold cakes on a regular basis, I would certainly take the time to calculate all of my costs and expenses for more accurate pricing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%