Short, Cracked Cakes Pt. 2

Baking By paws4thoughthandmade Updated 22 Aug 2020 , 2:22pm by kakeladi

paws4thoughthandmade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paws4thoughthandmade Posted 22 Aug 2020 , 2:08am
post #1 of 2

Kakeladi, I'm honestly not sure how to tell if it's enough--I don't know the minimum/maximum levels to fill a pan for proper baking. I can tell you that my pans were right between 1/3 and 1/2 full.

Also, that's a really intriguing approach to temp/timing for a cake! What results were you getting, that made you develop that method? What improvements has it made in the end result of your cakes?

K8Memphis, I do know what you mean! I've worked so hard to get the flavor balance right, which is why I was so disappointed in my final result. Worse yet, I wrote my post last night after wrapping my cakes in plastic wrap and putting them in a Ziploc on the counter. I figured I could make the frosting this morning....and woke up to find that my cakes had acquired this weird shape on their sides, with the bottoms and tops wider than the middles, like this:  )        (    When we finally ate them, they were definitely moist, but not very fluffy, with this odd settled layer on their bottoms; it looked almost like undercooked batter, despite them being definitely done when I took them out of the oven.

I've heard of coconut sugar and date sugar before; maple is a new one to me! Are any of them diabetic-friendly? If so, are they 1:1 sugar substitutes, and do any of them taste like traditional sugar (or do they impart the flavors of their namesakes?)

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2020 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 2

Hi again:)   When using pans that are 2” deep they should be filled just  over 1/2 full. 3” deep pans are different— I have never used them.   Some fill pan  1/2full w/water then measure to know how many cups.   I feel measuring batter is very messy and inaccurate mainly because people  don’t take time to complete scrape out ea cup. 

I started baking at lower temps after reading article  about a well known/liked decorator of  some 50-75 years ago.  She made her wedding cakes w/similar baking .  The results I got were a VERY moist flat cake— no center hump to cut off wasting product.   K8 Memphis does not agree LOL!  She is schooled way more than I in the science of baking (as you probably realize by her message)  .... but it has worked for me for 30+ years now 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%