Short, Cracked Cakes...help!

Baking By paws4thoughthandmade Updated 21 Aug 2020 , 4:27pm by -K8memphis

paws4thoughthandmade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paws4thoughthandmade Posted 20 Aug 2020 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 4

Hey, all....

I love the way my scratch low-sugar chocolate cake comes out, so I decided to riff on it to make its vanilla counterpart. Here's what I used:

2 1/2 c flour

1/4 c sugar

36 packets of NatraTaste sweetener (like Equal)

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp baking soda 

1 tsp salt 

1 egg + 1/2 c Egg Beaters (liquid substitute)

3/4 c oil

1 T lemon juice + 2 T light mayonnaise +   enough fat-free milk to equal 1 c "buttermilk"

2 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 c hot water

I mixed all my dry, added my wet (except water), whisked by hand just until everything was blended, then stirred in the hot water. I used 2 8-in round pans in regular metal, not dark. I set my oven to 340°--which according to my thermometer gives me 350° on the dot-- and baked for 30 mins, until toothpick came out clean.

The cakes did not get as much rise as I'd hoped, and they also domed a bit and cracked. So I came here to troubleshoot.

1) Did I use too much/not enough of one of my leaveners? If so, how do i get the correct proportion based on my other ingredients?

2) Was my pan size too small for this batter to expand properly?

3) If I need to go up to 9" rounds, the only ones I have are dark gray metal (Wilton Indulgence series). How do I adjust my temp, time, and rack position for that?

4) Speaking of, did I use the wrong rack position (see photo)? I was aiming for literal center of my conventional gas oven.

Is there something besides these, that I might have done to cause the problem?

I'll be covering this cake with frosting, so nothing will show--but I really want to rescue this recipe for successful future use Short, Cracked Cakes...help!

Short, Cracked Cakes...help!Short, Cracked Cakes...help!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2020 , 4:47am
post #2 of 4

I don’t bake scratch so my suggestion may be totally off base but I say 1) not enough batter for 2 pans but more than enough for one 9” ....probably enough for one 10”.   Also I bake at lower temps— 300 for 20 minutes the  turn up to 325 for about an equal time .   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2020 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 4

see  without the cocoa and most of the sugar it's a whole different animal -- that's why it doesn't work -- that's why sugar substitutes are filled with maltodextrin and things like that to provide bulk -- i would suggest looking up recipes already designed to be low sugar and sugar free -- also using fruit to enhance things is important -- especially applesauce -- but with vanilla cake there is pretty much no place to hide kwim?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2020 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 4

especially applesauce for a plain vanilla cake i mean -- it'll blend and hide better than dates or something -- and on that note -- try some maple sugar, date sugar and coconut sugar -- the maple is super expensive but incredible!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%