What Would You Charge For These?

Business By Dsilvey1025 Updated 19 Aug 2020 , 5:31pm by -K8memphis

Dsilvey1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dsilvey1025 Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 4

My neighbor wants a dozen of the cupcakes in red velvet   with buttercream icing an the 6 of the sugar cookies in the pink an mint with a baby theme. I'm just starting out baking for money an not sure what to charge. Also any ideas on a baby theme for the cookies would also be appreciated.  Thanks

What Would You Charge For These?

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Aug 2020 , 2:55am
post #2 of 4

To start with, I would not waste my time making 12 cupcakes and certainly not 6 sugar cookies.  A simple box cake mix makes 24 cupcakes and a batch of sugar cookies will make at least 24 cookies.

That being said, I would charge four dollars for a simple cupcake, but I do not do decorated cookies.  I would guess they would sell for at least as much as the cupcakes, because of the work involved.

If you Google baby shower themes, you will find bunches of ideas.

If you are unable to reply, just start a new post and refer back to this one.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2020 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 4

Sandra is right...you would actually loose $$ doing such a small order:(   Think about the cost involved— time & fuel to shop for ingredients;  gas & electric to bake; soap, water & time to clean up & many other factors all go into pricing.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2020 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 4

decorated cookies used to go for $1 an inch so should be that or more now $1.25 or more per inch --

yes the order is too small and the people who will pay what your time, energy and expertise is worth are few and far between -- I'd say there's potential money is niche baking for allergies and for sculptures and weddings --

suzy homemaker can do a dozen cupcakes and buy a roll of sugar cookie dough to toss in the oven -- kwim? sure everybody's gotta start somewhere but if your goal is making money pick a different gig -- if you crave being creative and want an ongoing outlet, carry on --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%