Cake Tastes Like Cornbread....????????????

Baking By saadi Updated 12 Aug 2020 , 3:19am by SandraSmiley

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 2:11am
post #1 of 13

https://stylesweet.com/blog/2018/5/10/strawberry-layer-cake?rq=strawberry%20cake

I used this recipe to make strawberry cake. I usually use her recipes and they always turn out nice. I definitely overmixed this bc i was trying to add red color to it to instensify the pink but i think my mistake was adding it at the end (gel color) and it was not mixing in well which led me to mixing it alot even though I know very well i shouldnt overmix. sigh...

perhaps I didnt add enough vanilla extract...? Its not a great quality one i think. (https://shop.countdown.co.nz/shop/productdetails?stockcode=662134 found this at homegoods lol)

So 2 questions: 

Does overmixing lead to cornbread tasting cakes? 

Is it ok to add liquid color to cake mix? I know youre not supposed to add liquid color to buttercream so i only have gel on hand. What do you guys use to color cake mix??? powder, liquid, gel...? And when is the best time to add it?

Thanksssss

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 3:04am
post #2 of 13

The only think I can think of that could possibly make a cake taste like cornbread is if you forgot to add the sugar.

I always use gel color and add it when I start adding the liquid ingredients so it mixes at the same time.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 3:06am
post #3 of 13

Yes, you can use liquid food coloring in cakes, but the gel mixes quite easily.  I think you just needed to add it sooner in the mixing process and it is possible there was not enough liquid  in your recipe.

saadi Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 4:04am
post #4 of 13

Definitely added the sugar...creamed it with the butter. 

So I guess I’ll add the color a bit sooner...I have the little Wilton gel colors in small mini jars so they’re not squeeze bottles which makes it so annoying to add the color to stuff

saadi Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 4:09am
post #5 of 13

So there was a cup of milk...and some strawberry purée...although most of liquid was reduced on the stove. Also I forgot to mention that the cakes had formed a kind of thick outer brown layer. It was like a firm thick skin. But the cakes inside were so nice and fluffy! Also forgot to mention (lol) that like cornbread it tastes as if I hadn’t added any sugar which is so weird bc I added 200 grams.. the taste is soooo off

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 5:55am
post #6 of 13

Everything u explained points to no or not enough sugar.   It might be the recipe 

saadi Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 6:05am
post #7 of 13

Oooook guys I know what happened. Ugh. Ok so she didn’t have grams written so I google conversions whenevr this happens but omg I don’t know which page I used to convert but the sugar was off (less than needed I think) and the flour was too (more than needed).

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 13

So happy you figured it out, saadi!  Yes, I've run into trouble trying to convert recipes too.  I now always use a scale which has both metric and imperial measurements, so problem solved.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 13

About 90% of my gel colors are wilton in the bottles without squeeze spouts.  I used a tooth pick or a table knife blade (if I need a lot of color) to transport the gel to my batter.

saadi Posted 11 Aug 2020 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks! Im so glad i found out too :D 

Hmmm i think I need to start using something bigger than a toothpick too when i need more haha I was just using multiple toothpicks to try and get the amount i needed (facepalm) 

thanks for the advice!

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Aug 2020 , 12:41am
post #11 of 13

Two thumbs up, saadi!

saadi Posted 12 Aug 2020 , 2:28am
post #12 of 13

Just wanted to update that I made it again and wooohoooo its soooo goood

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Aug 2020 , 3:19am
post #13 of 13