What's Your Go-To Yellow Cake Recipe?

Baking By ShelleR Updated 4 Aug 2020 , 5:24pm by kakeladi

ShelleR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleR Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 3

Hello bakers! I would love to know if you have go-to yellow cake recipe for a layer cake that you can share.  I've tried several, they've been to eggy, too dry, or too dense.  My Wilton instructor told me he used regular box cake for his orders - I want to stay away from the boxed.  Please help, thank you :)

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 3
For plain yellow cake, I use kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe.  It does start with a cake mix, but has a lot of goodies added.  There are a few people, like your instructor, who are purists and will not touch a cake mix with a ten foot pole.  I've been a scratch baker for 65 years and I think kakeladi's recipe is fabulous.  That being said, I would not give you two cents for a straight cake mix.  You can make any flavor cake with this recipe and they are always moist, very flavorful (lots of added flavoring), and sturdy enough for stacking and carving.  This recipe has long been a favorite of professionals and home bakers alike.  You will not be disappointed.  Just don't tell your instructor, lol.  
By the way, I do believe kakeladi was a Wilton instructor at one time.
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Sandra:)   Yes the recipe has been endorsed by many, many people at every level of “professionalism “ the world over for more than 25 years now.   

And yes I taught for Wilton for more than 10 years.   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%