How Is This Effect Done ?

Baking By danaxsa Updated 3 Aug 2020 , 11:08pm by Fabricake

danaxsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danaxsa Posted 2 Aug 2020 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all ,

I came across this picture on Instagram and would like to know how the effect around the picture is done ? Can anyone help/guide me How Is This Effect Done ?

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2020 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 5

They appear to be edible images, possibly applied to a piece of fondant with distressed edges, then applied to the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2020 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

You’re asking about the effect around the pix?  —-even w/enlarging the pic it’s hard to say but it looks to be from a mold.  Each appears the same like 4 pieces were molded & placed around each pic 

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 5
Attach your image to a white chocolate ganache covered cake (don't use milk or dark chocolate ganache as it can bleed through the image). Take a piece of baking parchment or wax paper slightly larger than the image and lightly grease the edges with Crisco/Trex and place over the image, the Crisco/Trex will help it to stick. Ice the whole cake with fondant as you normally would. It should be quite easy to find where the image is under the icing as you will have a little air pocket where the fondant hasn't stuck to the wax paper but just in case I mark the cake board underneath on the side that the image is on. Cut a X in the fondant being careful not to cut the image below. Peel back the fondant and with a pin carefully and gently lift the wax paper and remove it. Tear back the remaining fondant just a little smaller than the image below. Pinch, curl and shape the fondant edges to look like old paper and colour the edges with petal dust to give an aged look.
Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 5

Forgot to say, make sure the image is completely dry before placing the wax paper over the top or it may get smudged.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%