Recreate Wedding Cake Wings

Decorating By Cakeville Updated 3 Aug 2020 , 4:52pm by -K8memphis

Cakeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeville Posted 1 Aug 2020 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 9

Hello, I am making a cake based on a friend's original wedding cake, just 2 bottom layers.  This is for a 50 yr anniversary.  I would like to recreate the white wings on the sides.  What is the best medium for this?  I have made smaller but similar decorations with white chocolate, but I am concerned it would not be sturdy enough in that size.  Heat should not be an issue.  I do not expect outdoor air temp to be above 70, probably in 60s.  It will be indoors, out of the sun.

I would prefer to do a sugar wing as it seems more stable, but I'm not sure of the best way.  Would royal icing work for this?  Is there a more rigid recipe or cooked sugar that I could pipe into these wings?

Please see photo.  Thanks so much for any help!

Recreate Wedding Cake Wings

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2020 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 9

Yes in my thinking that is what they are.  There probably will be breakage so make extra   I have found piping royal in plastic wrap results in far less breakage than the usual wax paper.  Just be sure it is completely smooth.   To remove slide item to edge of table & slowly pull the plastic wrap down, away w/your other hand under ready to catch it when released.  

kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2020 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 9

White chocolate is also a good choice & can be as stable as royal   Do either as I described above —I’m thinking the cho ones could be made a bit thicker  or you can turn the royal over when dry & pipe over to strengthen 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Aug 2020 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 9

Ditto everything kakeladi said.  I've only ever piped this type thing (snow flakes) in royal icing one time.  I did have a little breakage, but not nearly as much as I expected.  Just don't make too delicate.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2020 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 9

adding cream of tartar to the royal strengthens it as well as using the real egg white recipe rather than the powdered meringue powder -- i would use royal -- i put a swipe of pam oil spray on a paper towel and wipe down the waxed paper so the royal will loosen easily -- i know it sounds counter productive to the royal but if you haven't tried it you don't know how great it works -- it will come off handily by sliding under with a small thin spatula -- and it does not affect the strength of the royal -- 
lynne, don't have a heart attack on me  smile

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2020 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 9

I am a complete novice on royal icing and appreciate the tips of using cream of tartar and real egg whites!  A light coat of oil on the wax paper is brilliant.  Thanks, -K8memphis.

kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 4:01am
post #7 of 9

K8!!  I almost did ;)   Using plastic wrap worked well for me  

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 9

Cakeville, if you are unable to reply to your post, just start a new one and refer back to the original.  For some reason, new members are unable to reply for about 30 days.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @kakeladi on 12 hours ago

K8!!  I almost did ;)   Using plastic wrap worked well for me  

i knew you would -- i felt all the air being sucked out of california when you read that joy

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 18 hours ago

I am a complete novice on royal icing and appreciate the tips of using cream of tartar and real egg whites!  A light coat of oil on the wax paper is brilliant.  Thanks, -K8memphis.

and just a swipe off a paper towel -- you're welcome blush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%