Fondant Cracking When Covering Cake

Decorating By Misskitty90 Updated 5 days ago by kakeladi

Misskitty90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misskitty90 Posted 6 days ago
post #1 of 3

I use satin ice fondant....( by the way how long does this keep for if you keep it sealed well?)  I roll out the fondant and then when I go to cover the cake it cracks in areas.  It is hard to keep smooth.  Do you use corn starch underneath when rolling it out?

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 days ago
post #2 of 3

I've mostly used homemade marshmallow fondant, which tends to be more soft and moist than commercial brands, but it sounds like you probably should knead in a small amount of shortening and/or glycerine to soften and moisten it a bit.  

I do not use cornstarch or sugar when rolling out fondant, but use a silicone mat prepped with Crisco.  Apply a small amount of shortening and spread it all over the mat, then remove most of it with a paper towel.  When applying the fondant, I pick up the whole mat, position the fondant over the cake and gently release it from the mat.

If you have trouble replying, start a new thread and refer back to this one.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 days ago
post #3 of 3

Yah what she ^^^said.   Except I have use d both a very light coating of shortening & a mix of cornstarch w/powder sugar at different times -  not together.  I did use Satin Ine but it’s been a long time & I don’t really remember any problems,especially not “elephant skin” .  Do try kneading in some shortening, not much, just enough to soften it some &/or a tiny bite of water — like just wet your fingers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%