Collapsed Ganache Cake

Decorating By sugardaadi Updated 3 Aug 2020 , 1:15pm by kakeladi

sugardaadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaadi Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 6

Collapsed Ganache CakeCollapsed Ganache CakeHi! I made a chocolate ganache and roasted almond 2 tier cake. Bottom tier - 7" wide and 2kg, Top tier - 5" wide and 1kg, images below

There was one central plastic dowel. The was a cake board below the top tier and 3 plastic dowels below the top tier for additional support. 

It was driven to a location 1.5 hours away in an AC car. There was no space in the fridge at the location so it was was kept in a cool place with the fan on until midnight till it was cut. The bottom tier collapsed some time between delivery and cake cutting. It's pretty hot in India, 30C during the day, but my sugar syrup was slightly more. Did the cake collapse because of a structural error or lack of refrigeration or both?

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 6

I am sorry this happened to your beautiful cake.  So sad.

It sounds as though your structure was adequate.  I know kakeladi does not use this many, but I would use 5 dowels below a 5 inch tier and would not bother with a central dowel for a two tier cake.  I am a firm believer in keeping a cake cold and am guessing the culprit was a lot of hours at room temperature, especially if there is a good amount of humidity.  Even with good air conditioning, if the humidity is high, a cake can suffer after several hours.

Scampbell731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scampbell731 Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 9:30am
post #3 of 6

I would say it started in the car.  Even though the car had AC, I don't think it can keep delicate edibles chilled well enough for that length of a car ride.  I had a cake become super soft on the side of the cake that was facing the window, the opposite side was fine.  Even though my car had the AC as cold as could be, the window was giving off heat, especially when the sun was directly shining in.  Since then, I put cakes in some sort of cooler in the car.  I am in a hot and humid area.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 6

The others have given good advice.   Such a beautiful cake it’s a shame it came apart:(  I’m sad for you.   I’m seeing a liquid around where it came apart which should not be there   Is that the filling?   

kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 6

The others have given good advice.   Such a beautiful cake it’s a shame it came apart:(  I’m sad for you.   I’m seeing a liquid around where it came apart which should not be there   Is that the filling?   

kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 6

Sugardaadi I notice this is your first post on here so you will not be able to reply to any post for about 30 days.  If you want to say anything just start a new post referring to the one you are talking about in the subject line (example: new subject line Title:   “collapsed cake part 2”)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%