icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 1:41am
post #1 of 10

Can you make gumpaste using fondant 

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 2:11am
post #2 of 10

It is not exactly the same, but if you add Tylose or other gum, it will make the fondant dry more quickly and be considerably stronger.  If you want to  use it for flowers, it will not roll out as thinly, but it will work well for models.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 2:25am
post #3 of 10

I’ve used fondant w/Tylose (&sometimes Wilton’s GumTex) to make flowers.  Might not be show quality/thin but still very nice.  As w/everything else the more you handle it the better I get at getting it thin. 

kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 2:32am
post #4 of 10

Do a search on here for gumpaste recipe in the recipe section and you’ll get like 2 dozen recipes of versus complexities 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 3:15am
post #5 of 10

I've used several different commercial gum pastes, but my favorite is Nicholas Lodge's recipe.  It is easy and inexpensive to make and is very strong and stable.  While it is not necessary to achieve super thin petals for flowers, this recipe will hold up to very thin, if you are going for realism.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/nicholas-lodge-gumpaste-recipe/

icer101 Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 4:13am
post #6 of 10

Some one on Facebook asked this question. I have made it for  25 years or bought it etc. I though I seen a post one time that Kakeladi said she uses cornstarch added to fondant ?  Yes I make nick lodge and so many other recipes. Again thought I had read on here about Kakeladi?? 

icer101 Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 4:16am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone for your replies! I helped the person on Facebook since she asked . All is good ! 

kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 4:41am
post #8 of 10

I just could NOT come up w/Nick Lodge‘s name

kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 4:47am
post #9 of 10

Oh crumb it only posted the 1st line of my long reply.  Can’t use emoji—nothing after one wi post.  A dig thumbs up for Nick Lodge’s recipe for sure.  I just could not pull up his name:(   Oh the joys of getting old!  HAHA  I don’t remember ever using cornstarch IN a recipe but use it for dusting work surface— usually mixed w/powder sugar 

icer101 Posted 28 Jul 2020 , 6:28am
post #10 of 10

Thanks Kakeladi it must have been someone on Facebook! Yes like I said been working with fondant and gumpaste little over 25 years . Taught it at Michaels and a tech school here 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%