Covid Refunding

Business By caitjane1 Updated 21 Jul 2020 , 4:35am by kakeladi

caitjane1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caitjane1 Posted 20 Jul 2020 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

So, first off I apologize, I have created several forum topics and for some reason my computer/account will never let me respond to anyone who comments. I've tried to get this fixed without success...so if you respond with a question I'm not sure I will be able to comment back.... :(

My question:

I live in San Diego where the virus is pretty prolific. Many of my weddings this year were rescheduled to the Fall, but now all of them are being completely cancelled until further notice. Some brides are just eloping and won't need my services anymore. 

My contract states that cakes cancelled 30 days prior to the event will be fully refunded aside from the booking deposit. In other instances during this pandemic I have still refunded clients who are 2 weeks to their event date. 

I am still not refunding booking deposits at this time and stating to clients that this is because I sometimes turn down business when a client books a date and most weddings were placed prior to COVID even existed. It also helps supplement me for time put in towards client correspondence and time  put in towards design/cake inspiration. 

I am wondering if this seems harsh to anyone or if this would make sense to tell my clients. Many of my Fall 2020 brides are just now telling me they are cancelling everything so I'm wondering what to say. 

Thanks for your time!

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jul 2020 , 2:52am
post #2 of 3

I am a hobby baker only and rarely do cakes for a customer, but it seems reasonable that you keep the booking deposit for the reasons you've given.  Even if you have not started the cake, you have likely spent some time researching the design.

If you are unable to respond on this post, just start a new one and refer back to the original.  We all understand the situation, which seems to happen to all new members for about 30 days.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2020 , 4:35am
post #3 of 3

I have Seen several posts on other forums that many of the brides are not getting any of their deposits back so I wouldn’t worry about it.    You are being generous & nice to refund the amounts you are.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%