Cutting Cake Cleanly

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 20 Jul 2020 , 11:22pm by -K8memphis

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 18 Jul 2020 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone advise how and what knife is best for cutting cakes cleanly.  I'm talking about German chocolate, coconut, carrot, etc. when they have nuts or coconut in and on them, the slices always look ragged. When I use an electric knife, the vibration causes all the stuff to fly off the cake. I see all these perfect looking slices online, so I know it can be done.  I have all kinds of good knives, but still not happy with the slices. Advice???

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2020 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 6

Waiting for someone in the know to answer this as I had the same problem

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 18 Jul 2020 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

Are you cutting cold or room temperature? I used to makes individual carrot cakes for a plated dessert at my last job and I chilled them before I split the cakes in half. I used a sharp serrated knife and the cut was always clean. It never looked ragged. 

If it's stacked and frosted, I would think really will chilled, a sharp knife that is heated by dipping in hot water and dried, or run a torch over it briefly would give you a pretty clean cut. Clean the knife and dip in the water and dry between each cut. 

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 18 Jul 2020 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 6

I do that with cheesecakes, but regular cakes are not always chilled when they need to be served. Thanks for taking time to help

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jul 2020 , 2:54am
post #5 of 6

My version of carrot cake is chock full of all kinds of goodies and there is really no way to get a perfect cut.  I just accept that it tastes a whole lot better than it cuts, lol.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2020 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 6

you have to clean the knife completely between each slice -- make the cut -- scrape the excess off with a metal spatula -- then dip the knife in a pitcher of hot water -- clean on a towel -- repeat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%