How To Keep Cakes From Sliding In The Cake Boxes?

Decorating By Baker Beach Updated 21 Jul 2020 , 4:23pm by -K8memphis

Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, all!

I have a question that I've never seen come up before. How do you keep decorated cakes from sliding around in the cake box and hitting the sides of the boxes?

For party cakes, I normally use the gold, scalloped cardboard boards that are slightly larger than the cakes but the same size as the box and that works fine. But a few weeks ago I made a couple of 9" cakes for a wedding where the bride was using her own pretty cake stands. She was also transporting the cakes herself to a venue an hour away. I used cake boards that were exactly the same size as the cake. I constructed some rounded corners that I placed around the cake board, but I am not sure how well it worked (haven't heard whether it did or didn't from the bride). I think there has to be a better way-- I stressed and worried over it so much that it took the fun out of making wedding cakes! Anyone have any tips? Thanks!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 12

but that's the best way -- just cut a square piece of cardboard into triangles from corner to corner -- now you have four triangles to place with the ninety degree point of the triangle placed into the corner of the box -- use hot glue or a roll of tape or double sided tape to affix it -- perfect --

another way is to use the correct size cardboard circle for the box -- smear it in the middle with a blob of buttercream -- sink the cake onto that, slide it back & forth a bit to affix -- then advise the bride to insert, slide a spatula between the cake base and the board to get it off --

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 12

I don't use pre-made cake boxes, but make my own.  I also make most of my own cake boards and make them  the same size as the box.  Occasionally a cake board will be smaller than the box and I cut cardboard "corners" to fit around the cake board, snugging  them against the outsides of the box.  In addition, I set the cake (inside the box) on a piece of skid proof material.  Never had a problem. 

Baker Beach Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much, K8memphis and SandraSmiley!

I guess I had it sort of right to begin with-- but I hadn't thought of securing the "corners" with glue onto the cake box. I was worried they would somehow popup and get into the cake, but if secured they would not. Also, the idea of using BC to secure the cake and giving the bride instructions would work, too. This one was tough because they were mousse-filled cakes, so on top of needing to be secure, they also had to be cold. I bought some pizza delivery pouches and Nordic ice blocks and rigged up makeshift coolers, too:)  I think I would not have worried so much if I were transporting, but since the bride was, I had to make sure it all worked for her.

Thanks again!!

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 12

I know everyone is so sick of seeing this because I've shared it a million times.  This portable cooler, by Sedar Yener, is an absolute life saver and costs nothing.  I even use it in the winter for extra piece of mind.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 12

Another thing adding to your problem is the use of those gold scolloped boards.  Get some double face tape ( not “scotch“ clear tape) not “strapping tape”  placing a 3-4” length on a board the same size as the box the add your cake 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 12

Another thing adding to your problem is the use of those gold scolloped boards.  Get some double face tape ( not “scotch“ clear tape) not “strapping tape”  placing a 3-4” length on a board the same size as the box the add your cake 

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 18 Jul 2020 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 12

I buy those cheap silicone baking mats and cut them in varying size pieces, put one on the box floor, set cake (on board) on it and it stays put. I use them on turn table then set cake (on board) on that and it keeps cake from shifting while decorating.

Baker Beach Posted 20 Jul 2020 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 12

These are all great ideas -- thank you all so much! The box/refrigerator idea is so interesting-- I have seen that before but forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder!

Hope you all are staying very healthy!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2020 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 12

one more thing i don't think i saw here -- i used the nubbley shelf liner to use as slider-stoppers -- it doesn't even have to be the same size as the board -- you're very welcome blush

oh and except on sandra's box idea -- you wanna use it upside down of the picture up there -- she would tell you that too 

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jul 2020 , 2:57am
post #11 of 12

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I leave one end of the box open so the cake can be easily slid in and out, not put in from the top.  Thanks, Kate!

Yes, the nubbley shelf liner is what I was referring to as non-skid material.  Couldn't think of what it is called.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2020 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 12

highly technical terminology -- nubbley shelf liner stuck_out_tongue  smile

btw, sandra, no one is tired of that video heart_eyes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%