Buttercream Cracking

Decorating By Cokersha Updated 17 Jul 2020 , 5:37am by kakeladi

Cokersha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cokersha Posted 16 Jul 2020 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me what caused this?  This cake was transported about an hour    It was intact when it left my house.   It had supports in the first layer and a dowel through both layers.   Was something wrong w my buttercream?  Buttercream Cracking

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jul 2020 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 4

I have no idea unless one of the dowels shifted or was uneven.  Was your cake well chilled?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 5:12am
post #3 of 4

Usually that is a sign that’s the base board was not Board?  heavy/thick enough.  What did you use? Was it a cake board? A drum?  Single layer foam core?  It also looks to me like the upper tier compressed down into the bottom tier.  Was it on a cake board?  You mentioned supports were used  what did you use?  Wood dowels or straws?  Was that upper tier on a cake board?   A third possible contributing factor:  the icing was dry—-the wrong consistency... and lastly... was each layer leveled before adding filling & stacking.  I’m thinking the cake cracked —from not being level or no board under it.   Supports do nothing if there is nothing  “hard”  (board) to hold up 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2020 , 5:37am
post #4 of 4

Since this is your 1st post on this forum you will not be able to reply to any post for about 30 days so if you have anything to say just start a new post referring to the one you are talking about.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%