Using Edible Foil Sheets On Buttercream

Decorating By shanda_s Updated 14 Jul 2020 , 1:24pm by kakeladi

shanda_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanda_s Posted 11 Jul 2020 , 1:37am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone used edible foil sheets on buttercream frosting? I have a bride that wants it on the top edges and down the sides in no particular pattern of the cakes of a two tiered cake. One cake is white and the other a very pale blue. She wants silver foil. I have never used foil sheets, have been researching but not finding much on using on buttercream. Will it stay? Any information is welcome.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2020 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 5

i used it once, i think i still have some -- but it looked like aluminum foil to me once i placed it on the cake and it's not exactly edible unless they've come up with something since them -- but truly metallic and shiny is likely not edible

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jul 2020 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 5

I have not used it, but I believe real gold leaf and silver leaf are edible.  I know Goldschlager has real gold in it.  It does not break down in liquor, so I am sure silver leaf would hold up just fine on buttercream.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2020 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 5

sandra, they are sold as edible but they are not really edible -- but yes it stays fine -- it's just you gotta get the hang of applying it because it is so fragile it can whuff away in a nanosecond -- it just dissolves the first few times till you catch on to how soft your fingers need to be -- there's the loose leaf kind separated by papers and the kind that is somewhat attached to backing -- and the little tid bits in the bottles too -- tricky but fun

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jul 2020 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 5

And very expensive

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%