Stacking A Big Cake

Decorating By TERRI.BRUCH Updated 10 Jul 2020 , 9:56pm by SandraSmiley

TERRI.BRUCH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRI.BRUCH Posted 10 Jul 2020 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 3

I have to stack a big cake and Im really scared    I made a pontoon boat out of fondant and rice krispies with the man whose birthday it is and his wife driving and all his grandchildren in the boat.   The middle willbe a half sheet size of carrot and yellow cake  THis will be on the thickest foam board from Michaels.  I am going to need to stack the pontoon boat ontop of the cake and travel about 30 minutes with it not crashing into the cake  How do I do that  Im scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   TIA   Terri

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2020 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Terry:)  Welcome Back.  1st off I don’t think that board is going to hold up  — !  If I understand your post correctly this is a 1/2 sheet sized cake w/the pontoon boat & other things on it.  That’s not really all that heavy:)  (think 4 tiered wedding cake)   Having a good solid base board is the key so .... double that board you got!  Just glue the 2 together.   As for putting the pontoon o  is there any way to put it on a small cake board that will be supported w/dowels In the sheet cake ?  W/o it detracting from the design?  Like maybe ice it like water   Can you attach a pic of the pontoon?  Maybe sitting on a 1/2 sheet pan for size comparison... 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jul 2020 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 3

Exactly as kakeladi said, mount your pontoon boat on a base substantial enough to easily handle the weight of the boat and dowel your half sheet cake just like you would for a stacked cake.  I would use straws spaced approximately 2" - 3" apart distributed where the boat will set.  Hope this makes sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%