Fondant Flowers On B Uttercream

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 12 Jul 2020 , 12:47am by mahtc2016

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a small wedding cake for my daughter.  12" and 8"  It will be frosted in buttercream.  My question is how to attach small fondant flowers to the side of the cake.  I have never done  this.  I will be traveling 1 hour away with the cake and the temp is to reach around 90 degrees that day.  It is an outside evening wedding.  I'm afraid the flowers will fall off in transit.  Does anyone have advice on how to adhere them to buttercream?

I am attatching a sample picture of cakes with flowers similar to the ones I am using.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 9

Just pipe an open circle of b’cream on the back of each flower before placing it on the cake.  That acts as a section cup :)   W/such small flowers of course it will be small so as  not to show but give it as much “umph” as you dare;)   Freeze the cake in a box which on travel day is placed into another box that is bigger; freeze jugs of water and place them between the two boxes, & wrap all in a blanket ;)   It should be fine 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jun 2020 , 12:52am
post #3 of 9

I am sure kakeladi suggestion of using a circle of buttercream on the backs of the flowers would work perfectly for such small flowers, but I always use a dollop of melted white chocolate.  Probably overkill, but I am paranoid.

If you are reluctant to freeze the cake, once it has been decorated, keep it refrigerated so it is super cold.  I like the double box and jugs of water idea, but here is the portable cooler I always use for cakes, winter and summer.  Easy to do and works a charm.

kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2020 , 12:49am
post #4 of 9

Yah Sandra I also thought about melted chocolate & forgot to mention it:)   And I knew you would jump in with the link to making the cool box

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jun 2020 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

Lol, sorry Lynne!  I know I've posted it a million times, but it does a miracle for me on long, hot deliveries.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 11 Jul 2020 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 9

2048x1536 Well, the cake made it ok. I attatched the flowers with buttercream, put the back seats down in my car so the cake in the trunk would be air conditioned.

I'm enclosing a picture of the cake. Thanks everyone for all your help.

IMG_1039.JPG

2048x1536

Well, the cake made it ok.  I attatched the flowers with buttercream, put the back seats down in my car so the cake in the trunk would be air conditioned.

I'm enclosing a picture of the cake.  Thanks everyone for all your help.

Well, the cake made it ok.  I attatched the flowers with buttercream, put the back seats down in my car so the cake in the trunk would be air conditioned.

I'm enclosing a picture of the cake.  Thanks everyone for all your help.

kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2020 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 9

So glad to hear that it made the trip well

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jul 2020 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 9

It is absolutely stunning, WeezyS!   Love the colors and your flower cascade is beautiful!

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 12 Jul 2020 , 12:47am
post #9 of 9

Looks great !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%