Pricing Cakes

Business By carrascoshannon Updated 1 day ago by SandraSmiley

carrascoshannon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrascoshannon Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there,

I haven’t been on this site for a while but I am just starting my own business.  I’ve been making cakes as a hobby for about ten years.  Mostly just for my kids and other family.  I know there are a lot of factors that contribute to pricing a cake, but I’m just wondering if anyone would be willing to give me a ballpark on what you would charge for this sculpted fire truck cake.  It took me about 13 hours to make and decorate...is this too much time?  Am I slow

7 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 8

It’s hard to give advice on pricing as there are many members here from all over the world. Each country, city, town and rural area will have different pricing structure depending on what the market will bear where you live. I for example, live in a rather upscale city, I don’t live upscale, I’m in a average neighbourhood, but I’m surrounded by high end neighbourhoods. So I can charge a lot more for my cakes as opposed to my neighbouring city. You have to know what basic cakes are selling for where you live. When I made and sold cakes I kept a record of what I did, start to finish, time wise. That includes baking, prep, crumb coat, and of course, decorating. Time in making embellishments, fondant/gumpaste accents for cakes/cupcakes. Included all  my supplies, flour, eggs, etc., boards, ribbon...electricity and added labour. Now you need to keep a record of this information of cakes you have done so when you are quoting prices, you quote enough to pay for supplies and most importantly, “PAYING YOURSELF”.  Can’t stress the paying yourself enough. Most decorators forget that. You don’t work for free. Neither do your customers. I also would add delivery and set up fee for wedding cakes. Of course as you get faster, it most likely will not take you 13 hours to do a sculpted fire truck. But, the again, with kiddos, some times things have to be done in stages. At least that’s what I had to do. I was working full time with elementary school children at home. But still kept track of the time/hours. After making cakes for 10 years, you should be able to quote an amount on many cake styles based on your knowledge. I hope this helps.

carrascoshannon Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for your response!  You have been helpful :) I do have an 18 month old...and an 11 and 12 year old...at home.  So everything takes longer

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 8

June cover things well.  A few more factors most don’t think of to consider are not only the cost of ingredients but gas, & time for shopping; gas,electric for baking etc, water, soap for cleaning, taxes, License to be a business, cost of eating out/ordered in when you are too busy decorating!   And on & on the list goes

jchuck Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 8

This is a free software cake pricing. https://www.bakecalc.com/  There is also Cake Boss paid cake pricing software   https://cakeboss.com/

carrascoshannon Posted 28 Jun 2020 , 12:16am
post #6 of 8

Oh!  Great!  Thank you both so much!

jchuck Posted 28 Jun 2020 , 12:27am
post #7 of 8

❤️❤️

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 day ago
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%