Freeze, Refridgerate, Or Leave On Counter Wedding Cake And Cupcakes

Baking By bsesender Updated 27 Jun 2020 , 1:09am by kakeladi

bsesender Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsesender Posted 26 Jun 2020 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 3

i am making a small wedding cake (2 8" cake man raven RV) buttercream frosting -no decorations just white and smoothed  AND 24 cupcakes (wasc and devils food box) with buttercream sunflower decor with 366 tip

my question is about procedure and timing.  the wedding is on saturday two hours away at an informal family house party (cake will be inside) so we are leaving friday and staying the evening but i most likely will not have access to the kitchen so would like everything prepared and ready before i leave my home friday.

of course i want it to taste fresh and look great.  We are in florida so there is alot of humidity.

i was thinking of baking on thursday and decorating friday before we leave.  do i bake and freeze, refrigerate or leave on the counter?

after decorating friday should they be refrigerated or can they be left on the counter for saturdays wedding?

how and what would you do?

2 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 26 Jun 2020 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 3

I've done things that are similar.

I bake, cool fully on the counter, wrap, refrigerate overnight, decorate, place in a CARDBOARD box, place box in a sealed garbage bag, freeze solid [4-6 hours at least], transport in the bagged box, allow to come to room temp while fully boxed & bagged, remove for display/serving. 

When done this way, the cake stays mostly frozen during the drive [make sure it's out of the sun during the trip!] and all of the moisture from defrosting goes to the cardboard, not the cake surface.  It will look & taste like fresh baked--guaranteed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2020 , 1:09am
post #3 of 3

Yes!  Exactly what she^^^ said:)   Have done it exactly the same way several times 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%