Please Help - Wedding Cake

Baking By Kernowa Updated 16 Jun 2020 , 11:50pm by SandraSmiley

Kernowa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kernowa Posted 14 Jun 2020 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone,

I’m really hoping someone could help me. I’m a pretty sound baker, but by no means professional. I am a bridesmaid for a wedding in September that had to be pushed back, and pushed back because of the current crisis. With business failing and with finances slim, I have offered to make a modest wedding cake for the event. Just a lemon naked cake. 

I’m always the person who says ‘leave it to the professionals’, but current finances won’t allow the bride to go the professional route (the first cake maker is no longer in business, and other bakers in the area are full because of wedding back up or have boosted their prices). As the bride and groom are business owners, business has not been booming as you can imagine.

My cakes do not have the right density for a wedding cake and are too fluffy. Could anyone be so kind enough as to share a basic lemon cake recipe that you can make at home, and will withstand some weight. Basically, a fail safe recipe for a semi-okay Baker!

Please and thank you!

Stay safe 

6 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 14 Jun 2020 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 7

It isn't the cake cake below that holds up the tiers above it...

It is the support system...

Put in place the correct supports and you can use the fluffiest cake you want...

So... What support system are you going to use?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jun 2020 , 12:53am
post #3 of 7

I prefer this recipe for stacked cakes and have made a lemon version many times.  Just start with a lemon cake mix, use lemon and vanilla extract, and boost the lemon flavor with a generous helping of lemon zest.  Substitute about 1/4 to 1/2 the water with lemon juice.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

As AAtKt said, the proper support is the key to a stacked cake.  If you are not familiar with doweling a tiered cake, there are a million good YouTube videos showing the proper way to do it.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2020 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 7

bump

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2020 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

kernowa, in order to respond you need to start a new thread -- i think new peeps take 30 days before they come into all their posting abilities -- me and lots of peeps on here LOVE to assist with wedding cakes -- so please feel free to post a new thread with more questions & comments blush

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2020 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 7

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2020 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%