Reverse Creaming Method & Simple Syrup?

Baking By Naty Updated 3 Jun 2020 , 1:43am by -K8memphis

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 1 Jun 2020 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 6

Hello. I finally found my favorite method for my yellow cakes.....reverse creaming. I was wondering if anyone has brushed a simple syrup to keep the layers moist to these types of cakes? While te recipe I tried was moist and delicious, I found that the next day it was not as fresh. It did have a vanilla mousse filling so I had to refrigerate it.

Any ideas on the simple syrup and how much to use?

Thank you

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2020 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 6

did you use oil in the cake batter?

was the cake sealed in a box when refrigerated?

sure you could use simple syrup -- probably like 1/2 to 3/4 cup to one 9x13 size one layer cake

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 2 Jun 2020 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you k8memphis for your reply.

The cake was made with butter not oil. Could not wrap it well because it was already frosted. I just put it in the fridge the way it was. I thought because it was all frosted and no part of the bare was exposed, it would of been "sealed" enough to keep the cake from the cold.

I will try 1/2 cup brushed on the cake next time. Any other suggestions for wrapping it?

Thank you.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jun 2020 , 12:44am
post #4 of 6

You probably already know this, but cakes made with butter will firm up when refrigerated and tend to seem dry, even though they really are not.  The butter sets up in the cold.  A few seconds in the microwave brings the slices back to their original light, fluffy, moist texture.  

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2020 , 1:39am
post #5 of 6

so simple syrup won't help -- if you fridge a cake, yes the icing provides enough sealant to keep the cake fresh inside -- but yeah the cake will seem dry but it's just that it is scraping the back of your throat a bit so we translate that to "dry" but it's actually as moist as ever -- and of course you can't always microwave it once it is iced and filled with perishable hazardous filling -- but yeah the little dab of heat melts the butter and restores the soft texture americans love and expect -- 

so a couple ideas is to change to a cake made with oil because oil bounces back to room temp no problem-o -- or deconstruct it if you want to keep the butter cake -- fridge the filling and serve a blop of the filling that's been kept refrigerated with each slice so you can keep the cake room temp -- 

that's why for tier cake and cakes I sold, I mostly only use oil in the batter -- I used a ton of butter in the icing though --

the devil's in the details huh

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2020 , 1:43am
post #6 of 6

and once you slice a cake and want to keep it fridged -- you can just put a piece of plastic wrap, waxed paper, or parchment over the cut exposed part -- you are right, the icing seals it --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%