Oil Instead Of Butter

Baking By Zi1bbs Updated 1 Jun 2020 , 1:19am by kakeladi

Zi1bbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zi1bbs Posted 31 May 2020 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hoping someone can help. I want to change my cake recipe a little and instead of using 424g butter I want to use half that so 212g butter and instead add oil to make up the rest. How much oil would I add. Do I just add the remainder 212g oil to makeup the 424g or do I use a different amount of oil. I am hoping to replace some of the better with vegetable oil. My recipe also includes 1 1/4 cup butter milk and whole Milk combined. Thank you 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2020 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

it will change up everything in the recipe -- what i would recommend is to make a half recipe or a third or quarter -- whatever fraction of the recipe you can make with one egg -- and use the ratio you said half & half --

if it was me i'd find another recipe altogether

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2020 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 5

it may work great -- idk -- and if you want to reply pls start a new thread 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 May 2020 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 5

I've made cakes with butter and I've made cakes with oil, but never tried to substitute one for the other.  -K8memphis' suggestion is about the only way to find out how it will work.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2020 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

I make a ton of quick bread recipes & have often used one for the other— I think I have even use both in one recipe but not sure now.   Quick breads are similar to cakes but a bit more dense/heavier.    

What is the reason for wanting to use both?  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%