How Far In Advance Can I Make These Fondant Decorations?

Decorating By lucyloulou Updated 31 May 2020 , 10:36pm by -K8memphis

lucyloulou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucyloulou Posted 30 May 2020 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 5

How Far In Advance Can I Make These Fondant Decorations?How Far In Advance Can I Make These Fondant Decorations?I have never worked with fondant before but I am going to try to make my grand daughter’s birthday cake.  Her birthday party is 2 weeks from today.  I am going to attempt to make the messy teenager room.  My plan is to start right away making all of the toppers out of fondant- the figurine, the bed, nightstand and all the items of clothing and clutter right away.  The actual cake will be a WASC and butter cream icing.  I purchased 2 pounds of fondarific buttercream wedding white to make all of the fondant decorations.  If I store all of the items that I make in a box will if have problems making them in advance? I don’t imagine anyone eating the decor and it will give me time to do the items until I get them right.  Any tips or advice  

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 May 2020 , 1:20am
post #2 of 5

You can start any time you are ready, lucyloulou.  If you don't anticupate anyone wanting to eat the models, you can let them air dry, which will make them much easier to handle.  I would just put them on a plate or cake board and drape a paper towel over them to keep off dust.  If you prefer they stay somewhat pliable, seal them in a plastic bag. They will still set up a little, but remain more soft than the air dried method.  Whatever you decide, it is important to keep them out of the light because they will fade.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2020 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 5

Exactly what Sandra said:) 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 31 May 2020 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 5

You can always put your fondant pieces in the oven with the light on overnight. They should be relatively hard by the morning. Store the fondant pieces in a cool area, away from direct sunlight and humidity. As Sandra posted, light will fade your pieces. And too much humidity will allow your pieces to soften. Have fun making all your little embellishments. I’m sure you’re granddaughter will love the cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2020 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 5

if you want to reply, pls start a new thread

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%