To Refund Or Not To Refund -- How 'bout A Little Discussion

Business By -K8memphis Updated 31 May 2020 , 4:40pm by kakeladi

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2020 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 15

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/wedding-videographer-refuses-refund-fiance-death?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbofficialgoodful&ref=bffbofficialgoodful

a wedding vendor, not cake, but similar type contract -- so this is quite an extreme example here loaded with drama including possible fraud on one side and heart-breaking tragedy on the other -- 

if the link doesn't work for you:

so nov 29 the photographer and the couple signed a contract for a may 23rd wedding -- she was unfortunately killed in a car accident feb 4 and he requested a refund on feb 17 --

all that drama aside, what say you concerning this statement "The company added that non-refundable deposits are the “industry standard” because each weekend date is precious during wedding season."

14 replies
mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 28 May 2020 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 15

Given the unforeseeable  circumstances  they are being cruel in my opinion and the money refunded might have  helped  pay for  her funeral. Her life was more precious than a business transaction.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 May 2020 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 15

I think it is ridiculous and greedy.  It is doubtful a request for a cancellation, that far in advance of the even, would cause a loss of business or result in any financial investment on the part of the vendor.  I am not offended by the statement in a contract, but under the circumstances, it would have been gracious and reasonable to refund the groom's deposit.

SandraSmiley Posted 28 May 2020 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 15

I did go an read the article and I am appalled.  Doesn't seem like a smart way to do business.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 May 2020 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 15

Absolutely nonrefundable deposit is the industry standard. That is true, but there are always extenuating circumstances. The gracious thing to do was to refund. And after reading the article, it does sound like this videographer is the same scam artist from Massachusetts. Fled, and started the same scam somewhere else. And funnily, had this poor young lady not died, wedding would have been cancelled anyway because of the pandemic. The one and only bright spot in this terrible situation is this videographer got flushed out. Hopefully will get arrested.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 May 2020 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 15

Absolutely nonrefundable deposit is the industry standard. That is true, but there are always extenuating circumstances. The gracious thing to do was to refund. And after reading the article, it does sound like this videographer is the same scam artist from Massachusetts. Fled, and started the same scam somewhere else. And funnily, had this poor young lady not died, wedding would have been cancelled anyway because of the pandemic. The one and only bright spot in this terrible situation is this videographer got flushed out. Hopefully will get arrested.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2020 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 15

Haven’t read the whole article but definitely agree with all the other poster 

s.   Many, many years ago when I was still working out of my home I had a somewhat similar experience.  Don’t remember all the details ow but had a wedding cake ordered; got a phone call from I think the bride that the groom was killed in a motorcycle accident—  I didn’t hesitate a second to refund to her— waited a few days & saw an article in the paper about the accident so it was confirmed that the story was legit 

SandraSmiley Posted 28 May 2020 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 15

You have a good heart and are a real business woman, kakeladi.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2020 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 15

i would surely refund for a death although it never happened -- but i told my brides that the wedding taking place was not requisite for the cake order to be filled -- 

and for lesser reasons a similar thing came up to judge judy's bench and she ordered it be refunded -- so our non-refundable thing, aka 'retainers' might not hold up in court -- even for reasons other than tragedy --

SandraSmiley Posted 29 May 2020 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 15

Well, that sucks, -K8.  If an event is cancelled near the reserved date, the baker has probably already invested a lot of money for supplies and possibly labor, like hours and hours making sugar flowers. That reminds me of the bakers being fined for not making wedding cakes for gays.  Personally it wouldn't bother me one bit, but I do think a person has the right do as they please with their own business.

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2020 , 12:11am
post #11 of 15

these were both photographers/videographers -- so much different than cakers, but still wedding vendors -- and i always tell my brides that i am not a bakery (here from my home although i worked for many bakeries) i am one person and i cannot assimilate the ingredients into my household -- also i cannot store a cake if the date gets changed last minute -- i can't pivot like a bakery can -- you get the cake you ordered on the day you said -- done --

and to me the hugest point in the link i posted is the dates -- guy had over three months to book something else -- i could pivot three months in advance even with a cake if something tragic occured

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2020 , 12:12am
post #12 of 15

^^^ to sandra et al ^^^

SandraSmiley Posted 30 May 2020 , 12:55am
post #13 of 15

That was the thing that stuck out to me, -K8.  There was plenty of time between the cancellation and the reserved date for the videographer to book another event.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 30 May 2020 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 15

How heartless can that photographer be. I would give a full refund and condolences

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2020 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 15

Sandra & littlejewel  —  totally agree w/ both of your statements 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%