Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes??

Decorating By ge978 Updated 7 Oct 2005 , 3:01pm by tanyap

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:20am
post #1 of 26

I have an order for 2 dozen cupcakes this Saturday. The lady that ordered them doesn't want to spend alot of money. She said to just ice them and the simpler the better. This is my problem: I just can't send cupcakes out without any sort of decoration. I'm not sure if this is how you guys are, but I'm constantly thinking about who's going to see my cakes and what business I can get from them. Who's going to look at a plain iced cupcake wonder where they came from? I did see cupcakes in the gallery that were iced orange and yellow and they were beautiful, but these are mostly for kids. The fundraiser is a carnival and I wanted to do something fun. I need some ideas for cupcakes that won't take alot of time or money. I was thinking of ice cream cone cupcakes. Has anyone ever done these? Are they time consuming? How do they taste? or if anyone has any other ideas that would be great too.

25 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:34am
post #2 of 26

I did some for a demo at Michaels with halloween themes. Here are a few of them....
LL

ge978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:38am
post #3 of 26

TexasSugar,
Than you for answering and those cupcakes are really cute. I forgot to mention that I can't do the halloween theme. Apparently the lady doesn't celebrate Halloween so I can't do anything with ghosts, monsters, etc. Those cupcakes give me an idea for another order though - thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:41am
post #4 of 26

Ge,
My friend SweetCreations does these and has some wonderful ideas!! I know she would just love to help you out!! She is a member here on CC. So just PM her or maybe she will see this post and if she does, I know she will respond...she is GREAT!!!

Leslie icon_smile.gif

ge978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:00am
post #5 of 26

Leslie - thanks for the fast reply. How do I find SweetCreations to pm her. I should know this by now, but the only way I've pm'd someone is directly from their post. Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:17am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

TexasSugar,
Apparently the lady doesn't celebrate Halloween

Pumpkins, fall colors, leaves?

You can always do some cut outs of fondant leaves and dry them where they arent' all flat and put them on the cupcakes.

Or use a fall candy mold and make some candies (even if you just do them solid colors). I like those for quick cupcakes. Along with doing two toned swirled icing on them. icon_smile.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:26am
post #7 of 26

you can make the cupcakes in the flat bottom ice cream cones...then take a big star tip and swirl the icing on like the ice cream machine does them.

sprinkle them with the little sprinkle balls, colored sugar or leaf confetti.

Hope this can help you...

Jennz818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennz818 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:28am
post #8 of 26

ge,
I did ice cream cone cupcakes for my daughters birthday in school last year...I'll attempt to attach the picture. If it doesn't work I'll put it in my gallery for you to check out.
They were really simple...just fill the cones up and carefully put them in the oven. You can use a star tip and quickly put the icing on the top.
Good luck,
Jennz

ge978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:29am
post #9 of 26

Thanks TexasSugar and PastryDiva for your ideas...they definitely do help.
Do you bake the cone with them or put the cupcake in after they bake?

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:32am
post #10 of 26

you put the batter in the cones..you place the cones in the cupcake/muffin tin. you fill about 3/4 of the way as they do puff up.

When I had my airbrush available..I'd give them a quick burst of color before I used the appropriate funfetti..lol

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:35am
post #11 of 26

Kids always love a little something extra.....

I don't have photos..but I made cupcakes and iced them with a goldish yellow in swirls...to look like a beehive. I made the bee cookies and put them on the top....

ge978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:41am
post #12 of 26

PastryDiva, - thanks for the info. They sound like they are going to be fun to make...I can't wait!

IHATEFONDANT: that is such a cute idea! I just need to make something fast and I hate making cookies! In fact I pay someone else to make them. I can be very lazy icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif I would love to see pictures of those.

culinarilyobsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
culinarilyobsessed Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 3:09am
post #13 of 26

Ge, is this fundraiser for a school or something?? If so you could color the icing the school colors & pipe the icing on with a large star tip to add a bit of a decorative touch, then put some sprinkles on. Not too labor intense & can still WOW them. icon_smile.gif

One thing I like doing when I make the ice cream cone cupcakes is to crinkle up some small sheets of tinfoil & place them in the bottom of the muffin tin around the base of the ice cream cones, helps to hold them in place a bit more so they don't tip over going into the oven.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 6:33am
post #14 of 26

Ge,
Sorry I am so late getting back to you. I had to step away earlier to cook dinner.
It sounds like you got some great info on making the cupcake ice cream cones. But for future reference...to pm someone, just go to your private messages to the left of this screen under "my account". Click on the new post button. Then there should be a box for you to enter the username. If you know the member you wish to PM, you just enter it. If you don't know it exactly, there is a button to the right of that box that says search for username, you can type in any portion of a name, and it should send back a list. Hope this helps.

I love all the ideas mentioned!! Sounds like you will have some fun with this!

Leslie

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 8:10am
post #15 of 26

You all have given me some great ideas, too!! I have a Halloween part coming up for my son and I know that 9 y/o's still like that kind of stuff. And I can make them all monstery for that age, too. Thanks!!

Tanya

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 11:49am
post #16 of 26

I love to make cupcakes. Using the leaf tip #70 I make the petals and the center of the flowers are made with a small star tip 14 or 16. My cupcakes are in the gallery. Go to wedding cakes and then mini cakes. They were really easy to make. Hope that helps as an alternative..

ge978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 11:55am
post #17 of 26

First of all - Thank you guys so much!!

Jennz - for some reason I didn't see your post last night. Those cupcakes are so cute!! That is definitely what I had in mind. Thank you for posting them for me.

culinarilyobsessed : I think its for a Christian school fundraiser so they are having it at the church. Thanks for the ideas!

Leslie - I appreciate your help - now I know how to pm icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for getting back to me

Cupcakes: Those are really beautiful!! Thanks for the great idea icon_smile.gif
I'll post pictures when I'm done with these

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 12:17pm
post #18 of 26

Anyone had any success transporting those cupcake ice cream cones? I made them once and they were really good but they all tipped over in my van on the way to the party. I had them in muffin tins but it didn't seem to make a difference. I think Keebler sells a pan but it is expensive and doesn't hold many. They were for friends so no one cared but I was almost in tears. My hubby laughed about it and tried to make me feel better by saying since some were iced chocolate and some were iced vanilla that they ended up as swirls with sprinkles.

THANKS!

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 12:32pm
post #19 of 26

Hey Tonia,
if you have a Wal Mart or a Sams in your area then I am sure you still see the Cokes in the Cases, Well you take those box bottoms and you flip them over, Cut out Circles, then Cover with White Freezer paper and Wa La Ice Cream Cone Carriers! and its not expensive, just go to wal mart and take the cokes and and set on the shelf. hahaha. I use this all the time, and you dont have to worry about weither you get it back or not.

Have a Great Weekend!
~Sweet~ =0)

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 26

Hey Ge,
I am sorry I got the end of the post and read and responded before I saw all of yours. The Ice Cream Cone Cup Cakes are Great! I just Love them, they are Very Simple to make, and depending on what you do on Top as to How Much icing you will use. I use the Great big Star tip and Stripe the bag with Colors and then I Twist the Icing onto the Tops of the cones and it looks Just like a Real Ice Cream Cone, and the Kids LOVE it, hahaha,, How could they NOT? I mean All that Icing, Man they are Zooming, and I posted just before this on transporting them. O when you cook them use Cup cake pans lined with foil to hold them up and fill them about 3/4's full and then bake like Cup Cakes. just check them with your pick.
Hope this helps you. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 12:47pm
post #21 of 26

The directions for these is actually on some ice cream cone boxes. You can also order a carrier for transporting them. I've made them a few times and transported them in a box with high enough sides to support them and keep them from flipping over. The kids do love them!

Debbie

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 12:47pm
post #22 of 26

I have made these once and found it hard to transport them. Now I take a short flat top box, like a flat of pop canes or veggie cans come in, then I use old egg cartons, turn them over and cut out the holes where the eggs would sit and you have a safe way of transporting these tall little devils. I haven't had one fall over since.

Hope this helps!!

Kristina

ge978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:05pm
post #23 of 26

Smileyface - I wish I would of read that story after I made the cupcakes instead of before! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

SweetCreations , thecakemaker & Fishercakes: thanks for responding & the instructions on transporting. I usually don't think of those things since I don't ever deliver my cakes. I'll have to try these ideas out and see which one works the best.

I love the fact I can get on here and get so much information. It's great that everyone shares how they do things and helps others. I don't really have any friends or family who decorate cakes so it helps to come here. icon_biggrin.gif

Jennz818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennz818 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:19pm
post #24 of 26

I transport mine by taking a shirt box...top and bottom and putting them together. I then use an exacto knife and cut X's in the top. I push the X's through just enough for the cone to fit snug in the middle.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:36pm
post #25 of 26

Thanks everyone, I KNEW there would be someone on here that would let me (us) know how to transport these things successfully!!! I am planning on making them again and now I know to get some cardboard crates, boxes or egg cartons so they will arrive fine this time! I had mine in rubbermaid container so they didn't get totally ruined, they just got smushed all over each other.

ge978, I am glad you did see my story. I would hate for that to happen to you, I was so disappointed. Now you know how to transport them and you would have them fall over. I am sure you will be fine transporting them now. I didn't think they would fall over so I never thought to put them into cardboard cartons like the others here were smart enough to do, DUH!!

Good Luck!! They really are a cute and neat idea to make.

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 3:01pm
post #26 of 26

....you could also do what Jenz818 said but use cereal boxes instead of a shirtbox icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%