Adding Edible Glitter To The Sides Of Cake

Decorating By Vanessa7 Updated 14 May 2020 , 2:23am by SandraSmiley

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 12 May 2020 , 12:53am
post #1 of 5

I am trying to find out the best way to attach the edible glitter to the sides of a cake covered in buttercream.  I know that piping gel is a good glue but not sure how to cover the sides, add the glitter evenly spread out, and not mess up the buttercream.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help!

4 replies
doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 13 May 2020 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 5

bump

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 May 2020 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 5

Not sure what to suggest:(   I picture holding it in hand & blowing it on B U T!  With the world so messed up it’s not a good idea.   Maybe use an airbrush to blow out of hand?   With sprinkles or chopped nuts etc you would roll it —could you put a cake board on top & bottom to guide the cake while rolling thru glitter?   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 May 2020 , 2:21am
post #4 of 5

I've never put glitter on a cake, but the way I put sprinkles on the sides is to fill my hand with sprinkles and press them into the frosting.  It takes a while, but it gets the job done.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 May 2020 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5

Come to think of it, you could freeze the cake, spread piping gel thinly over the buttercream and, while it is still frozen, turn the cake on its side and roll it in the glitter until it is covered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%