Refund? How Much?

Business By Emilyqberry Updated 28 May 2020 , 4:37pm by -K8memphis

Emilyqberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emilyqberry Posted 2 May 2020 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 9

Hi. This is my first time posting. I am on behalf of my 14 year old daughter. She has her own little side baking business.

My question is pertaining to the following scenario: 

My daughter made a sheet cake for a baby shower. The husband of the expected mother arranged to pick up the cake from us at a agreed upon location.

When he got there, he didn't get out but reached behind him and said, " Just place it here. That is the safest place." ( His car was full of stuff)

My daughter sat it down and I saw that the seat was like a bucket seat so the middle of the cake was sagging.....I mentioned to him it needs support under it. So he wiggle it a little.

It smeared frosting.....i didn't say anything because, at that moment, he asked me a question about a mutual friend and then he drove off.

What does my daughter do! If his wife isn't pleased with however it ends up looking by the time he gets it there? Partial discount? What? 

My daughter has now learned from this experience to not transport at room temp.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2020 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 9

Don’t worry about what may not be For the most part Valera say once the client has been advised of responsibility being theirs it out of your hands—their responsibility and not yours/ hers If the client tries to push officer to try to fix it if they bring it back In my opinion — under the circumstances you describe — NO refund or discount is to be offered

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2020 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry for the weird wording due to auto correct:( BTW: you may not be able to reply to any post so if you want to comment on any post just start a new post referring to this one:)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 May 2020 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with kakeladi, no reason why a discount should be due.  What the client does with the cake, once it is in his possession, is not the baker's responsibility.

If you plan to sell cakes (or other baked goods), it is never too early to start using a written contract which covers a host of potential problems, such as you mentioned.  There are good examples on line and it could save you a lot of heartache.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 May 2020 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 9

No discount, no refund, no credit on a future order.

HE transported it.  Once it left your hands, it was his responsibility to take proper care of it.  Period.

Think of it this way.  You go into a store and buy a large crystal vase.  The owner carries it to your car.  You tell him to just set it on the floor behind the driver's seat.  HE DOES AS YOU ASK.  You drive away, hit a speed bump hard, and the vase breaks.  It's not his fault and he has no obligation to repair or replace it.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 May 2020 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 9

bump

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2020 , 12:18am
post #7 of 9

yes to what everyone said but the cake should have been on a non-flexible board too -- and for next time your business minded daughter who is to be commended for her industriousness,  can learn to take charge and do the thinking for the customer to ensure her product and find something in the car to set under the cake to stabilize it -- a coke can, a roll of paper towels, a folded towel or jacket -- 

also she can come on here and ask away -- between us all we think we know everything hahahahahahaha 

best to y'all green_heart

SandraSmiley Posted 28 May 2020 , 3:11am
post #8 of 9

Kate, that last sentence implies that we may not know everything!  What?????

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2020 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 9

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%