Kakeladi

Baking By bellamart Updated 25 Apr 2020 , 11:33am by Laetia

bellamart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellamart Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 16

I am having some serious problems with my internet! Here goes again... I did check out WASC recipe and wasn't sure if I am supposed to add ingredients in addition to boxed ingredients or in place of boxed? Do I use same temp. & for how long? And no extra baking powder to get a nice high dome? Thanks for help!

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 16

Do not follow directions on the box — follow those given in the posted recipe The recipe is developed to keep from having a done! No wasted cake:) You get a great flat, moist layer Do take the time to read They the recipe before you start— that should answer some ?s

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 16

Do not follow directions on the box — follow those given in the posted recipe The recipe is developed to keep from having a done! No wasted cake:) You get a great flat, moist layer Do take the time to read They the recipe before you start— that should answer some ?s

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 16

Yuck! Auto correct did a number on that reply:( Im sure you can still understand

bellamart Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, but I was looking for nice, high domed cupcakes with maybe some extra! ;)

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 16

I guess you could try filling the cupcake papers/cups fuller Or try adding about 1/2 a measure of baking powder more Since I’ve never done it not sure how much or if that would work

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 16

If you want a high domed bake, you probably should use a different recipe.  One of the things that makes the WASC recipe so prized is that it bakes with a beautiful, even, flat rise.  Never heard of anyone wanting a dome before.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 16

Ok, do NOT add too much  extra baking powder. That will not help. That will actually grow the  height of your cupcakes, then they will deflate after removing from the oven. Actually the more extra flour you add, the last baking powder you need. Baking is  science. If you want a higher cupcake, just add about 2-4 tablespoons more batter. Batter has no where else to go but up  ^^^^^^^^    I learned many tricks and tips in The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Best investment I ever made!! Rose has a website/blog to help with the art of baking.  https://www.realbakingwithrose.com/recipes

I’ve doctored a chocolate cake mix many, many times. All I ever add is 1-2 cups flour, sour cream/ mayo, some oil and water (actually hot water + coffee). That’s it. No extra baking powder. Hope this helps.❤️

bellamart Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 16

I made my cupcakes before the replies came out. Since I wasn't sure about adding wasc into ingred. from box, I found a cake extender recipe in here that said to follow directions from box & add flour, sugar, s/c (I used yogurt). But I did add 1/4 tsp. baking powder to it. I also did the preheat 400° down to 350° when they went in, but they didn't dome. :-(  They weren't totally flat and they did come out pretty good. I just wanted that dome on them. At least they're edible! ;-) Thank you ladies! <3

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Apr 2020 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 16

Some recipes dome, others do not.  I rarely used a cake mix without following the WASC recipe or similar, so I am not sure, but I don't think a cake mix domes either.  Might I ask, why do you want your cupcakes to dome?

bellamart Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 1:45am
post #11 of 16

Cakes should be flat, but I have seen some people's cupcakes with a nice dome on them. I like cupcakes to do that. I think it looks prettier than a flat cupcake. And I guess maybe because it seems like you don't get much cake when they're flat.  My cupcakes usually come out more on the flatter side. :-(  I found a post going back a few years from someone looking for how to dome cupcakes, but I still can't get a good dome on mine. Here's the link: https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/603740/make-cupcakes-dome 

bellamart Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 1:54am
post #12 of 16

I just think they look prettier with a dome on them. Kind of more like an ice cream cone, I guess, instead of flat. Someone was on here a few years ago looking for just that. I'm still trying to perfect it. It's gotten better, but I still can't seem to get a really decent dome. Here's the link: https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/603740/make-cupcakes-dome

bellamart Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 1:54am
post #13 of 16

I just think they look prettier with a dome on them. Kind of more like an ice cream cone, I guess, instead of flat. Someone was on here a few years ago looking for just that. I'm still trying to perfect it. It's gotten better, but I still can't seem to get a really decent dome. Here's the link: https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/603740/make-cupcakes-dome

bellamart Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 1:59am
post #14 of 16

Sorry, my internet is going wacky again! Didn't know my post went through before! Yesterday, I couldn't reply on the same post if my life depended on it! Lol

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 3:14am
post #15 of 16

Don't worry, bellamart.  It is another glitch in this site.  Sometimes it takes a long time for your entry to post once you hit Submit.  If you hit it again, it will post twice.  If you hit the Submit bar 10 times, you comment will post 10 times.  It's hateful.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 11:33am
post #16 of 16

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%