Friday Night Cake Club For 03-27-20

Decorating By Laetia Updated 17 Apr 2020 , 2:51pm by SandraSmiley

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 31

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

I'm starting to think that "cake talking" is almost out of place while son much people all aroud the world are affected by the pandemic. But cake is my "safe place" and it helps me to keep my sanity...

Keep safe, big virtual hug,

Julie

30 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 2:22am
post #2 of 31

There is nothing wrong with talking about something other than the virus, Julie.  Cake is a good topic and it makes us happy.  I have not baked anything in the last couple of days, but planning to bake rye-semolina bread tomorrow.  Been trying to make it for two days, but just haven't had time.

Laetia Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 31

I've finaly decide to make the cake for my departement coordinator at work who will be retiering on tuesday. I did have to change my original plan a lot because of all the restriction and precaution in place due to the covid pandemic. All cake store seams to be close, so I had to figure out a new design using only the black fondant I had on hand. Cake is also smaller, because there is no way we can celebrate in group/work team. This is so sad! So the cake is a gift for her instead. For those of you who were wondering, instead of the traditional "happy retirement/ bonne retraite" I have chose to wright "Aweille a maison" on the cake. This is actualy a sentence our Quebec prime minister said about 10 days ago in a press conference about confinement regulation meaning "go home" in a very familiar/ popular french language. I tought it was kinda funny...Friday Night Cake Club For 03-27-20

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 31

Love the cake!!!

Talking cake is much better than dealing with the real world right now.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 31

beautiful cake @Laetia !! 

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 31

You did a fabulous job!  Your stripes are perfection and your peony is beautiful.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2020 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 31

Bump

Laetia Posted 30 Mar 2020 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 31

Thank you ladies for the nice words.  Also, you are the voice of reason. We need to keep talking cake and other light subject. Thank you for that too, I need to be refocusse sometimes!

Sandra, those stripes were so much harder to make than anticipated! Straight lines are a tough thing... I also mismeasure the hight of my cake so I was 1/4 inch too short for my last stripe. This is the reason why this stripe is a little taller than the cake, but I actually think it's a happy mistake 'cause I realy love the look of it!

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Mar 2020 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 31

As is typical, Mike and I jumped on the Semolina Rye bread before I could make a picture.  This recipe is a keeper.  Here is what is left (for a few minutes). 

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Mar 2020 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 31

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Apr 2020 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 31

Yummy rye bread.  Love it with a cheeseburger.  Your's looks super good.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Apr 2020 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 31

Thank you, MBalaska!  Three minutes away from taking another loaf out of the oven, a different recipe.  We love rye (for everything really) for making BLATS, Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, and Tomato sandwiches.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Apr 2020 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 31

Here is the new one....smells so good!

Laetia Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 12:04am
post #14 of 31

It looks so good Sandra!

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 1:56am
post #15 of 31

Yes that rye bread sure does look good :)

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 2:31am
post #16 of 31

Thanks so much, Julie and Lynne!

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 2:58pm
post #17 of 31

Bump

Laetia Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 8:01pm
post #18 of 31

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 8:43pm
post #19 of 31

I am trying Liz Marek's Honey Whole Wheat bread, rising right now.  I did add a bunch of seeds and will coat the outside with sunflower, pumpkin, and sesame seeds, too.  We'll see how it goes.

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 11:19pm
post #20 of 31

Have not tried it yet, but the Honey Wheat bread is pretty.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 3 Apr 2020 , 12:36am
post #21 of 31

Looks amazing. 

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Apr 2020 , 12:43am
post #22 of 31

Thank, Marian64!  We tried it and it is one of the best whole wheat breads I've ever tasted.  The recipe is on The Sugar Geek (Liz Marek) Show website.

Laetia Posted 3 Apr 2020 , 11:40am
post #23 of 31

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 2:03pm
post #24 of 31

Just trying to move all cake related stuff ahead of the spam.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 12:03am
post #25 of 31

That’s AMAZING.

i made a sourdough hockey puck this afternoon.....

kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 12:31am
post #26 of 31

........sourdough hockey puck this afternoon..... LOL Hope you didn’t really mean a failure that was so hard it couldn’t be eaten

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 12:40am
post #27 of 31

Oh no, MerMadeBakedGoods, what happened?  Was your starter not active enough?  Oddly, that is exactly how my best friend described her sourdough bread she made last week.  She fed it to her horse!

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 1:11am
post #28 of 31

I think one of the good (or bad?!!!) things about being Italian is that there’s always someone around desperate enough for bread that they’ll eat ANYTHING. So....we choked it down at dinner and then my sister took the rest home :).

it was terrible. And yes, Sandra - my starter was annoyed I’ve been neglecting it and decided to show me who’s boss.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 2:46am
post #29 of 31

Haha, MerMadeBakedGoods, it does have a habit of doing that, doesn't it?!  When I get ready to bake bread, even if it has only been four or five days since I fed it, I always feed my starter, let it rest for 12 hours, feed it again, let it rest for 12 hours, then a third time.  By this time, it is usually super active and that's when I bake bread.  It's a pain, but it is sourdough!

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 2:28pm
post #30 of 31

I think since I’m home 24/7 now I don’t have the usual patience....I’m not letting it rest long enough - thankfully I like making sourdough naan and pizza dough, but I’m going to have to get this right soon or the inmates are going to revolt!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%