Recipe Help: Key Lime Pie Calls For Mousse Powder? What Is This??

Baking By omgitstricia Updated 28 Mar 2020 , 1:48pm by Laetia

omgitstricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omgitstricia Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 3

There is a restaurant called the Oceanaire that has the BEST Key Lime Pie I've ever had.

So needless to say, I  was really stoked when I found their recipe posted online heart_eyesheart_eyes

I'm dying to try to recreate it at home, but utterly stumped on one of the ingredients listed: mousse powder.

I tried googling it to find out what this was and found a few chocolate and white chocolate variations but the only non-flavored one I could find was this one. Which I'm assuming is meant for restaurants since it's only sold in bulk.

Is there something I could use to replace this and still pull off this recipe? Recipe below.

Key Lime Pie:

Filling:

1/2 oz. sheet gelatin

1 tbsp. mousse powder

1-1/2  cups key lime juice

2-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream

3 cups sweetened condensed milk

8-1/2 oz. sour cream

1/2 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese

Crust:

1/2 cup whole butter

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

Melt the butter and combine with the graham cracker crumbs for the crust. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan (bottom only). Mix cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.

Add the sweetened condensed milk until incorporated. Next, add the heavy whipping cream until it is incorporated as well. In a small bowl, add one cup lime juice to the mousse powder to reconstitute, then add to the cheese mixture.

Soak the gelatin sheet in the remaining lime juice and put over low heat just until gelatin is dissolved. Add some of the filling to the gelatin-lime mixture to temper before adding back into the larger bowl of filling.

Mix until all is well incorporated. Pour mixture into the prepared crusts and place in freezer until it sets (1-2) hours.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and will greatly appreciate any advice you have to give kissing_smiling_eyes

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 11:30am
post #2 of 3

Bringing this up so it is seen by someone who knows much more than I do :) I know nothing about the science of baking/recipes so this is purely a guess I’m thinking meringue powder or rather pure dried egg whites? At 1st I thought gelatin but that is already listed & I don’t think there is much, if any difference between sheet & powder

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 3

Never eard of mousse powder unless they talk about mousse powder mix, something like instant pouding mix you can find in any grocery store (but I doubt that).

My first thought was they were refering to some kind of foaming ingredient used in molecular cooking, maybe? But I'm just guessing here! This article is quite interesting.

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/foams/culinary_foams.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%