Chocolate Cake Under Fondant

Baking By Moonstone.lady Updated 10 Apr 2020 , 1:16pm by Laetia

Moonstone.lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moonstone.lady Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 25

Hi everyone, 

I’ve started not long ago cake decorating, and I’m on the search for a tasty, and moist or at least not dry chocolate cake and a vanilla cake recipe. I’ve used Yolanda’s (how to cake it) chocolate recipe and it works beautifully under fondant, however it’s a more on the dry side even if I add simple syrup. I switched from oil based to butter based cakes because oil based are not sturdy enough and always result in bulges and uneven sides. Is it true that you either get a good-looking cake or a tasty one and not both? Lol! Please help me out with a recipe that holds up well and is moist.

24 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 25

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

You cannot go wrong using kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe.  It is a fabulous recipe that starts with a cake mix with a whole bunch of additions that make it more flavorful, sturdy and super moist.  It holds up well under fondant and is sturdy enough to carve and never needs simple syrup for moisture.  Best of all, it can be adapted to any flavor cake desired!

Moonstone.lady Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 10:01am
post #3 of 25

Thank you Sandra, but I heard it results in bulges as it’s not sturdy enough. I have a cake to deli ever in a few days, can I count on this recipe for a double barrel cake? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 25

YES, Yes, yes you can count on it:) I’m surprised that you have read that it buldges The important thing is to be sure each layer is level — it usually bakes up level needing little,if any, leveling It is almost a pound cake, dense but fine crumb, moist, & tender Many people use it for all their wedding cakes— the recipe is known/used around the world

Moonstone.lady Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 25

Alright I’m gonna try this. “Fingers crossed” if this works it’ll be my go-to recipe from now on. Thank you :D

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 2:42am
post #6 of 25

Moonstone.lady, I use this recipe with many different flavors a LOT and I've never had a problem with bulging and use it whenever I need to do a carved cake.  This cake is done using the Original WASC recipe, bottom tier is yellow cake and the top, double barrel tier is strawberry.

Chocolate Cake Under Fondant

Moonstone.lady Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 8:19am
post #7 of 25

Wow that’s a pretty cake! Is the pink buttercream or fondant covering it? 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 25

Bumping

An other vote here for kakeladi's original WASC. You can't go wrong with that recipe!

The pink on Sandra's cake is buttercream, pretty sure about that!

Moonstone.lady Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 25

Laetia, do you happen to know if it withstands the weight of fondant? 

Also, is there a chocolate WASC version? I noticed there’s Macsmom method for chocolate WASC but it uses oil and a lot of liquid maybe that makes it less sturdy than the original recipe? 

Laetia Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 25

Yes, it is sturdy under fondant, I've used it many times. If you make a double barrel as stated in your first post, just make sure to dowel it properly as you would with any 2 tiered cake (fondant or not).

For the chocolate version of the wasc recipe, some simply use a chocolate box mix. I personaly use the chocolate box mix and add a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and a table spoon of instant coffee  (dilute in the water). Coffee helps to boost the chocolate flavor. 

Hope this help!

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 12:34am
post #11 of 25

I agree with Laetia, start with a chocolate cake mix, I prefer Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge, add cocoa powder, a bit of strong coffee, expresso powder or coffee extract, instant chocolate pudding, instant hot cocoa mix, and Guiness.  These are all goodies I add to my chocolate cakes....OH, and a tablespoon of chocolate extract.  Makes for the most chocolatey cake in the world!

Thank you all for you kind compliments on the cake.  It is all buttercream.  I rarely use fondant because I don't like it.

Moonstone.lady Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 7:27am
post #12 of 25

Thank you ladies for the tips! 

kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 25

My *original* WASC recipe can be made with ANY flavor cake mix If you read the recipe as posted you will see that many have posted how they change it BUT please! try it once as I have created it before you go changing it! You’ll never know what a great recipe it is unless you try it Unchanged I do not add all of what Sandra mentions except do use coffee as the liquid Please,Please, PLEASE don’t corrupt a great recipe before trying the *original*! It took great pains, time, & hard work to develop it & the fact it is known the world over shows how great it is

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 25

I do absolutely agree with kakeladi that the Original WASC recipe which she created is just fabulous the way it is.  Chocolate is the only flavor with which I take such liberties, but I do love the deep, complex chocolate flavor created by the different additions.

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:16pm
post #15 of 25

bump

Moonstone.lady Posted 25 Mar 2020 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 25

Just an update. I made a red velvet WASC using the original recipe of course. It turned out very moist and sturdy! It’s a just a little less sturdier than the full butter-based cakes but this is a keeper. I’m converted! Haha

On another note, the cake turned out more of a burgundy/brown color than a deep red. Any suggestions? 

Moonstone.lady Posted 25 Mar 2020 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 25

Just an update. I made a red velvet WASC using the original recipe of course. It turned out very moist and sturdy! It’s a just a little less sturdier than the full butter-based cakes but this is a keeper. I’m converted! Haha

On another note, the cake turned out more of a burgundy/brown color than a deep red. Any suggestions? 

kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2020 , 8:35pm
post #18 of 25

Oooohh what a relief —- you found it to be a keeper! :) As for the color remember RV cake is NOT a chocolate cake Use a fr van, white, or yellow mix adding just 1/4 cup cocoa & 1ounce *liquid* food color for better results Look up the history of the recipe—you might be surprised

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Mar 2020 , 2:41am
post #19 of 25

I have never made red velvet cake using the Original WASC recipe because I already had a good recipe many years before I found it, but the recipe calls for two small bottles of red food coloring, which I think is disgusting.  I always use only one, which if plenty for me, so my cake is not bright red either, more of a chocolatey red, like yours.  I actually prefer it that way.  The bright red is almost scary.  The original cake recipe was colored with beets, no food coloring, so it was not bright red either.

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2020 , 3:50am
post #20 of 25

I agree most of the recipes I’ve used also call for 2 bottles— that’s why I mentioned using just one (I’m rather sure ea bottle is one ounce) & only 2Tablespoons Of cocoa

Moonstone.lady Posted 26 Mar 2020 , 5:50am
post #21 of 25

I must say dumping all that red color in cake is absolutely disgusting. I’m not sure clients understand this though, they don’t seem to mind all the food color as long they’re not the ones making it. I personally didn’t mind it before when I used to buy a slice of RV, now it makes me sick thinking of it.

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2020 , 3:08pm
post #22 of 25

And how it can stain clothing to say nothing of the tongue & teeth! What must it do to our insides?

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Mar 2020 , 9:46pm
post #23 of 25

Haha.....or our poop!

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 2:11pm
post #24 of 25

Laetia Posted 10 Apr 2020 , 1:16pm
post #25 of 25

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%