Can You Use Clothing Steamer To Steam Cake?

Decorating By sammy_789 Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 10:27pm by kakeladi

sammy_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammy_789 Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 6

So i am planning on making a cake this week and need to stick sprinkles to the side of a fondant cake. I saw method where you use a steamer to make the fondant tacky and then press in sprinkles by the handful. I don't personally have a steamer but was wondering if it would be possible to use a clothing steamer instead? As a cake steamer is £30 which i am unwilling to spend on, whereas clothing steamers are like £10

Also because I am painting my fondant with edible paint ( using metallic paints from the brand rainbow dust, not the combination of luster dust and vodka ) do you think steaming would possibly ruin the pain in anyway such as make it run? Planning on making the cake in the image below. 

Can You Use Clothing Steamer To Steam Cake?

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 6

Are you planning for your sprinkles to be the same color as the cake, as in the photo above?  If so, I would wait until they were on the cake to paint them.  I would be afraid steaming would affect the painted finish.  Don't know that to be the case, but I would be skeptical.

You can definitely use a clothes steamer.  I do or sometimes just my tea kettle.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 6

Bump

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 6

sammy_789, if you want to reply and are unable, just start a new post and refer to this one.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

You most certainly can use a steamer for clothes. But as Sandra said, steaming will most likely make your colours run.  I would attach the dots with piping gel. Let everything dry, then pain. I’m pretty sure you have completed your cake by now since this post is 2 weeks old. Hopefully you will,post a picture of your creation.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 6

If you wish to reply to any post & can’t just start a new post referring to the one you are talking about

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%