Help Recreating This Cake!! How To Stick Sprinkles To Fondant Cake??

Decorating By sammy_789 Updated 11 Jun 2022 , 11:50pm by littlejewel

sammy_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammy_789 Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 4

So I am a relatively new cake decorator. I’ve been baking for about six years but only since this year have I began to get into actually decorating, especially with fondant. I’m self taught so there is still a lot for me to learn. This week I am making my first tiered cake for a family members birthday party. I have more or less everything figured out but one thing I am unsure about is how to stick sprinkles to a side of a fondant cake. ( the inspo picture is attached )

I understand it would be easier to just make a buttercream cake but honestly I’m not the best with buttercream – I have yet to master how to ice the outside of a cake so evenly. My buttercream cakes definitely look homemade whereas my fondant covered ones are a lot more professional if that makes sense?

Anyways I’ve been thinking and I have three options so far:

-       - a) put edible glue on the sprinkles and stick them on individually ( time consuming, I know, but avoids error )

-  b) apply edible glue or piping gel to the part of the cake I want the sprinkle and then press in sprinkles in handfuls

-      - c) steaming side of cake so that the fondant turns tacky and then, again, pressing sprinkles in in handfuls ( seen in this video

)

Which would you guys recommend, and if you have any further suggestions then I’m all ears.

Also, I am painting the bottom tier with edible paint ( rainbow dust brand ) so whatever way I choose to add the sprinkles I don’t want it to mess up the paint ( I am unable to use luster dust and vodka due to religious reasons I cannot include alcohol in anything ).

But also since I mentioned it, what would you guys suggest I use to paint the fondant? I have a easycover sponge, paint brushes and makeup sponges just in case. And should I paint the fondant as soon as it is place on the cake or after it has hardened slightly? ( I planned on putting it on when the fondant is still soft but I may as well make sure )

Help Recreating This Cake!! How To Stick Sprinkles To Fondant Cake??

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 4

For sprinkles either option c or d would work.....I'm more inclined to use 'c' than 'd'.

………..unable to use luster dust and vodka due to religious reasons I cannot include alcohol in anything …………..   That means you cannot use flavorings like lemon, vanilla and such as they are something like 30-70% alcohol :(    You could mix the dust w/salad oil but I'm told it never dries so lots of problems with touching it -- it will smear.

I'm sure others will jump in here with more info....probably better options :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:50am
post #3 of 4

I use edible glue made with Tylose and water for sticking on sprinkles by the handfuls, as you suggested.  If you cannot use lemon or almond extract, I have no idea how you would use luster dusts to paint a cake.  You could use airbrush color, which is not quite as shiny but still pretty or Wilton makes a spray gold which is very pretty.  I am unsure if they make other metallics.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 11 Jun 2022 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 4

I'm with Kakeladi and sandra smiley on this one. Sounds like you are off to a good star, you will do well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%